GBAtemp hiring new moderators: we need you!

C9kEEmbXUAEX3r6.png

GBAtemp needs you!
The GBAtemp community has just lost one of its most valuable supervisors Minox who decided to step down after years of incredible service at GBAtemp. His presence and dedication are already heavily missed, if you're reading this Minox - I really mean it and I'm sorry you decided to go.

It's time to inject some fresh blood into our mod team! If you think you have what it takes, send me a PM. You don't have to post in this thread to apply. For your information, hiring decisions are made by staff consensus, I won't be the one to decide.

So you must be wondering: why would anyone want to join the mod team on these crazy forums? Well there are quite a few incentives:
- first you get a shiny badge, and access to our secret staff forums
- become part of the GBAtemp mod family and join our secret group chat
- get free games and hardware for review (you're free to choose the games/stuff you want to review)
- weigh in on important decisions concerning the organization of events and the future of the site
- early access to new features/skins and beta testing
- climb up the ladder to become a supervisor with full power over the entire site

What we're looking for before anything is level-headed persons with good common sense, if you've submitted valid reports before you literally get bonus points. Also, if you're familiar with the 3DS and Switch hacking scene, we're looking for moderators for these areas in particular.

Interested? Shoot me a private message! Your application will be reposted on our staff forum where the staff will render their verdict. We will inform you when decisions have been made.

Last edited by Costello,

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
We are making progress on the vote and we should have 10 names by the end of the week.

The new recruits will be "local" forum moderators to begin with (but with powers over several large areas). They will quickly become global moderators if they do well.

All staff members are required to have a Telegram account, so as to be able to join the staff discussion groups. I'm afraid this is a requirement - if someone doesn't wish to join the staff discussion groups then they will be ineligible. We work as a team, and we want people who are motivated and who won't let such a small obstacle stand in the way :)

We will be PM'ing the people who've been elected as soon as the vote's over, so watch your inbox.

Shortly after, an announcement will be posted with the list of new moderators. If you aren't in it, do not despair, just keep contributing to the community in a useful manner, you could be in the next batch of promotions.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
We are making progress on the vote and we should have 10 names by the end of the week.

The new recruits will be "local" forum moderators to begin with (but with powers over several large areas). They will quickly become global moderators if they do well.

All staff members are required to have a Telegram account, so as to be able to join the staff discussion groups. I'm afraid this is a requirement - if someone doesn't wish to join the staff discussion groups then they will be ineligible. We work as a team, and we want people who are motivated and who won't let such a small obstacle stand in the way :)

We will be PM'ing the people who've been elected as soon as the vote's over, so watch your inbox.

Shortly after, an announcement will be posted with the list of new moderators. If you aren't in it, do not despair, just keep contributing to the community in a useful manner, you could be in the next batch of promotions.
Why use Telegram when Discord is a thing?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Why use Telegram when Discord is a thing?
A chat client or another, what does it change?
Personally I'm a Discord person, but if you need something else to reach people, just use it.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
A chat client or another, what does it change?
Personally I'm a Discord person, but if you need something else to reach people, just use it.
Because I've never used it before? I want to know info from people who've used it. I don't feel like there's anything wrong with asking questions.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Because I've never used it before? I want to know info from people who've used it. I don't feel like there's anything wrong with asking questions.
Fair point.
From what I could tell, Telegram is a simplier version of Discord, closer to Text Messages.
Not very hard to get used to it, tbh.

Reactions: DarthDub

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Telegram is known to be a safe & secure way to communicate
https://telegram.org/faq#secret-chats
not that we have super uber top secret stuff to discuss, but we like our privacy.
For really secure stuff I prefer Signal/Wire, but your choice. Also, I don't know much about Telegram, but doesn't that require to share phone numbers?

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
For really secure stuff I prefer Signal/Wire, but your choice. Also, I don't know much about Telegram, but doesn't that require to share phone numbers?
If I remember right, for signing up for the magstaff chat, I needed to put my phone in to register, but none of the reporters can see each other's phone numbers.

Basically, I'd prefer Discord, but Telegram is fine. It gets the job done, it's lightweight, etc. Decent mobile app, has custom skins if you like personalization.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
If I remember right, for signing up for the magstaff chat, I needed to put my phone in to register, but none of the reporters can see each other's phone numbers.

Basically, I'd prefer Discord, but Telegram is fine. It gets the job done, it's lightweight, etc. Decent mobile app, has custom skins if you like personalization.
I can confirm - I don't see your phone number, and mine isn't shared with anyone else either.

this is the only thing I can see from Chary's profile:

upload_2018-6-20_13-36-49.png

(removed the name, but I'm pretty sure it already shows in reviews anyway)

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't Discord be kinda silly? It's much more fit for "gaming shitpost hell" than "moderator communications chat" when something like Slack would fit better? Haven't used Telegram personally, but I'd trust it to be more fit for the task than Discord.

Gon Freecss

Mumble > Discord
Trophies
Website
signal.org
XP
Country
Venezuela
Reactions: SomeGamer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't Discord be kinda silly? It's much more fit for "gaming shitpost hell" than "moderator communications chat" when something like Slack would fit better? Haven't used Telegram personally, but I'd trust it to be more fit for the task than Discord.

Not as bad as Skype at least, that's gone to hell recently.

Reactions: CeeDee

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs