Gbatemp Group NY Resolution?

TigerTiger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey group peoples!
As someone who has not studied enough this past year, I was thinking maybe it'd be cool if we set a new years resolution as a group to work on Japanese together. E.g. we could share weekly Anki stats, or post a diary entry in Japanese, or even have a bookclub or something.

It'd have to accommodate the fact that we're all probably at different levels so not really a group learning target but, what do you all think? And does anyone have any suggestions of what they'd like to do? :D

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah! That sounds like a good idea!
I didn't see this thread until just now, but it never hurts to start a little late right ;)

Weekly stats, whether it's Anki stats, Duolingo stats, or just "This week I did 2 lessons in Genki" would be a neat starting point I suppose?

TigerTiger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey! That would be cool :wub: Considering I haven't done a single thing to even look at Japanese lately :glare:
My goal for this week will be to finish up the reading I was assigned for uni... Mostly because if I don't do it I'm gonna be in big trouble.
Maybe then we can start 'officially' on a Monday and either post about a goal then talk about what we achieved, what could have been better and a new goal for the week, or just at the end of every week recap generally how things are going.

Reactions: Issac

cluesagi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe my resolution should be to stop neglecting Wanikani. I got a lifetime subscription a while back and ever since then it's felt easier to procrastinate because I don't have a monthly bill reminding me to get my money's worth lol

Reactions: Issac

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hey! That would be cool :wub: Considering I haven't done a single thing to even look at Japanese lately :glare:
My goal for this week will be to finish up the reading I was assigned for uni... Mostly because if I don't do it I'm gonna be in big trouble.
Maybe then we can start 'officially' on a Monday and either post about a goal then talk about what we achieved, what could have been better and a new goal for the week, or just at the end of every week recap generally how things are going.
I think maybe reporting every weekend might be a good first step, right? (What were you assigned to read for uni btw?)
I think it would be a good idea to write progress report / recap every week even if there was no progress. To own up to the lack of studying, and maybe state a reason why (like uni getting in the way) or something like that. ;)

Maybe my resolution should be to stop neglecting Wanikani. I got a lifetime subscription a while back and ever since then it's felt easier to procrastinate because I don't have a monthly bill reminding me to get my money's worth lol
That's a good resolution! How far have you gotten with Wanikani? And how long have you procrastinated?
I have only done the free trial, and aim to get a lifetime subscription sometime in the future - but right now it's not possible. I procrastinated a lot though because I knew that the free trial is limited and that I won't be able to continue after that, so whenever I am going to start again I'll reset all the progress and start from scratch even if it means revisiting kanji I'm already 100% confident with :)

cluesagi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a good resolution! How far have you gotten with Wanikani? And how long have you procrastinated?
I have only done the free trial, and aim to get a lifetime subscription sometime in the future - but right now it's not possible. I procrastinated a lot though because I knew that the free trial is limited and that I won't be able to continue after that, so whenever I am going to start again I'll reset all the progress and start from scratch even if it means revisiting kanji I'm already 100% confident with :)
I'm on level 11 currently (out of 60). I only did it sporadically for most of last year, which usually meant anytime I'd log on I had like 300 things to review. I've started doing it a bit more frequently recently so it's not usually that bad anymore but it does get grindy the farther you get. It's been worth it, though -- even at level 11 I can already read a lot.

TigerTiger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh boy, I can definitely do a weekly report but I feel like most of it will be "did nothing because I wasn't in the mood". (There's a deeper reason to it than that, but I'll try to keep the depressing stuff to a minium ^^').

We have to read NHK news stuff for uni. You get free choice of the articles, but even then I don't even follow English news so it's just super boring. It's good to have outside pressure to make you do the work, but I wish at least it was something I actually cared about so it'd be beneficial. But well, I got through (1) whole one this morning, so at least that's some practise for the week :rolleyes:

I did try the wanikani trial but I felt like it just mean like you had to memorize even more stuff that wasn't that useful. But if you guys find it helpful, then that's a cool goal!

A word of advice, (which you can just ignore bc I'm rambling, but when I was 'in the mood' I used to be good at this stuff, so), when you're setting goals, you should try and make S.M.A.R.T ones. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-Bound.

For example, @cluesagi's goal, "stop neglecting Wanikani", what does that involve? How will you know if you achieved it? If you have a wide goal like 'study more', it can actually be counter-productive I think. If you can make something (realistic), you can actually tick off at the end, like even 'study 5 new kanji this week', it's clear how to achieve it. (And hopefully, feels good when you do :D)

Latest photos

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: