GBAtemp Game of Year 2015 - Round 1

gbatemp_goty_2015.png

GBAtemp GotY 2015 - Round 1

Welcome to the first GBAtemp game of the year vote!
Here we have the top 50 games from 2015 as chosen by the GBAtemp staff. We believe that the GBAtemp GotY should be decided by our community as a whole, so would like our fellow Tempers to vote on their favourite games of the year for 2015 from the above poll.
Multiple votes are allowed, 25 titles will make it through to round 2.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
MGS5 Phantom Pain for me, given how far it evolved the concept and made for truly organic sandbox gameplay as well as cut down on the convoluted bullcrap so I ciuld follow what was going on for once. I can only hope the rights get bought up by a company that's not completely insane and Kojima rejoins for the inevitable sequel, In don't see the series surviving the current form of Konami. At least as anything other than a mafia backed pachinko machine.

To be fair it wasn't an especially great year for gaming in general. Too many paint-by-numbers generic sequels.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MGS5 Phantom Pain for me, given how far it evolved the concept and made for truly organic sandbox gameplay as well as cut down on the convoluted bullcrap so I ciuld follow what was going on for once. I can only hope the rights get bought up by a company that's not completely insane and Kojima rejoins for the inevitable sequel, In don't see the series surviving the current form of Konami. At least as anything other than a mafia backed pachinko machine.

To be fair it wasn't an especially great year for gaming in general. Too many paint-by-numbers generic sequels.
I want to play MGS5 bad... I haven't played a MGS game since Sons of Liberty.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a level editor and a game that was sold to consumers as incomplete are leading the votes...
Can't say i'm surprised since most of the people on the site only own nitnendo systems so the concept of third party games is unknown to them

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So a level editor and a game that was sold to consumers as incomplete are leading the votes...
Can't say i'm surprised since most of the people on the site only own nitnendo systems so the concept of third party games is unknown to them
Mario Maker, I'll give you that one. However, while Splatoon was a complete mess upon release, it definitely grew to be one of the best games for the Wii U. I think you have to look at this game the way it is now, not what it once was. It stands as a complete and robust package as we speak.

Last edited by HaloEffect17,

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MH4U takes it for me, with the nearly 400h I've sunk into it.

But where's disgaea 5 from the list?
I'm not saying Disgaea is a bad series, but come on, do you really expect it to win a "Favorite game of the year" poll? Obviously they didn't want to make a list of every video game released this year, so they went with 50. That being said, there's definitely some games on the list that I don't think belong up there (and the voters agree).

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
poll is bias you might have well said GBAtemp NINTENDO Game of the Year 2015 :lol:
Aside from the fact that over 40 of the 50 entries aren't Nintendo games, you're completely right. It's totally biased.

What do you expect? The Wii U and 3DS forums get way more traffic than the Xbox, Playstation, and PC ones (probably combined). Obviously there's going to be more votes for Nintendo games.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
poll is bias you might have well said GBAtemp NINTENDO Game of the Year 2015 :lol:
I think we should perform a statistical analysis and filter out those two evident outlayers caused by fanboybias error.
Then we would have Undertale, Fallout 4, and Majora's Mask 3D in the top 3.
You may argue that top 3 still looks somewhat Hipster, but I would be more concerned of Majora's being there.
Is this GOTY 2000 or are we thinking a shoddy 3d remaster should be GOTY?

PS: This poll is biased as fuck.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we should perform a statistical analysis and filter out those two evident outlayers caused by fanboybias error.
Then we would have Undertale, Fallout 4, and Majora's Mask 3D in the top 3.
You may argue that top 3 still looks somewhat Hipster, but I would be more concerned of Majora's being there.
Is this GOTY 2000 or are we thinking a shoddy 3d remaster should be GOTY?

PS: This poll is biased as fuck.
I know people in this forum don't like to read the OP, but...
so would like our fellow Tempers to vote on their favourite games of the year for 2015 from the above poll.
It's kinda difficult (impossible) to choose your favorite without being biased.. unless you think people preferred other games on the list but are specifically voting for certain (Nintendo) games out of some kind of fanboy honor code.

We're not voting for the most technologically advanced. We're not voting for the best graphics. We're not voting for the best aesthetics. We're voting for our favorite. Calm down.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know people in this forum don't like to read the OP, but...

It's kinda difficult (impossible) to choose your favorite without being biased.. unless you think people preferred other games on the list but are specifically voting for certain (Nintendo) games out of some kind of fanboy honor code.

We're not voting for the most technologically advanced. We're not voting for the best graphics. We're not voting for the best aesthetics. We're voting for our favorite. Calm down.
I don't understand what do you mean by your first line, but:
All polls are individually biased, each individual has its opinion.
Nevertheless, because of CLT, just add up enough individually biased opinion and you will have an unbiased result with μ, σ representative of the population.
If your sample is not very big, then you should select it carefully in order to represent the population.
I suggest gbatemp voting users are a small sample not representative of the population, hence the poll is biased.

PS: Of course you could suggest that GBAtemp and Nintendo are synonyms for the matter of this discussion, and then the thread title would make sense.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand what do you mean by your first line, but:
All polls are individually biased, each individual has its opinion.
Nevertheless, because of CLT, just add up enough individually biased opinion and you will have an unbiased result with μ, σ representative of the population.
If your sample is not very big, then you should select it carefully in order to represent the population.
I suggest gbatemp voting users are a small sample not representative of the population, hence the poll is biased.

PS: Of course you could suggest that GBAtemp and Nintendo are synonyms for the matter of this discussion, and then the thread title would make sense.
We all know that the members of GBAtemp (specifically in this case, the ones voting) are not representative of the population, and no one is arguing that it is. The poll's just a fun way to get the community together to talk about the thing they're here for in the first place: video games. In fact, any type of debate or poll done on a specific site is subjected to bias because it attracts individuals with specific interests and mindsets. Should we not have any kind of poll just because it'll inevitably be subjected to bias?

Reactions: shaunj66

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We all know that the members of GBAtemp (specifically in this case, the ones voting) are not representative of the population, and no one is arguing that it is. The poll's just a fun way to get the community together to talk about the thing they're here for in the first place: video games. In fact, any type of debate or poll done on a specific site is subjected to bias because it attracts individuals with specific interests and mindsets. Should we not have any kind of poll just because it'll inevitably be subjected to bias?
I agree, and I request Project Mirai DX and Xenoblade X to be added to the poll in order for me to insert my bias in the GOTY selection.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Fallout 4 for me. I don't love it, but it's easily the best one I've played this year as I don't own a WiiU and Monster Hunter is like a less stylish God Eater with a million times more bulls**** injected into its game mechanics. It's genuinely enraging how such a nice concept can be so ineptly abused and bloodied the way Monster Hunter has done. RIP all your potential, MH, and may angels sing thee to resurrection in the hands of another, more competent, developer.

Where was I, again? Oh right, Fallout 4. I like it. Gam gud, 8.5/10. Stars/5. Candy/a baby's hands. Getting/control.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, and I request Project Mirai DX and Xenoblade X to be added to the poll in order for me to insert my bias in the GOTY selection.
As for Xenoblade X:
can you really tell if xenoblade is game of the year without playing it? Yes, japan has it, but very few users played it, who would vote for that game except Japanese users?
nobody will (or should) vote for games they didn't play, how can you compare it to tell it's better than another one?
As for Project Mirai DX (and literally every other game not in the poll):
Here we have the top 50 games from 2015 as chosen by the GBAtemp staff

If you care that much about those two games (one of which you probably haven't even played yet) then make your own poll.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As for Xenoblade X:

As for Project Mirai DX (and literally every other game not in the poll):

If you care that much about those two games (one of which you probably haven't even played yet) then make your own poll.
But yes, I am playing the japanese version of X while waiting for my preordered limited edition that should be here in a couple of days. I've said it in many threads around the temp.
I don't really care so much about those games, even if it is true that PM-DX is probably the game I've played the most in 2015.
I was just being sarcastic, if a poll contains even remakes of 15 yo games and an old VN, it might as well include those somewhat niche games, for the sake of keeping it very biased. Also for Disgaea 5.

PS: I am sleepy, but I am being sarcastic, don't take it seriously.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyFz0yBxj8