FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now comes a new edition of the GBAtemp book game club. For those joining us or returning in this series a new game is suggested each edition and then you can discuss it. Rather than act as a glorified top ? games list the selections can also include games of note within the industry, something that warrants being known about (a mechanic or something) or something else that we feel makes the game deserve more than to fade into history. On occasion we mix things up a bit with additional criteria or do a special feature but normally a game from one of the systems we cover will have a rom hack, homebrew title or commercial game will be selected.
Week #24- Colour Cross (NDS)

Although not a new game concept Picross was right at home when it appeared on the DS and like most popular games clones spinoffs happened. One of the less remembered examples is Colour Cross that came from Little Worlds Studios which is a developer better known for childrens tie in games. As the title implies where the original game was monotone as far as the puzzles went this one uses colours (sometimes quite a few) to generate pictures.
go4409.png

Did it break the classic gameplay or was it an addition to formula. Discuss it in the thread below.
discuss.png
ongoing discussion

gbagotw should get you other links in this series

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh heh.. I just started playing this a couple weeks ago. I can't remember why, because I ignored it back when it was released. I've been thinking while playing it, "Why did I skip this? Why didn't anyone else point this out?"

It's Picross, yeah, but w/ another dimension... Not Picross 3D, mind, but the color aspect adds depth or maybe better put "layers" to the puzzle. Used properly they tend to make the puzzles solvable by logic more than the guess work and memory (from repeating the puzzle) that some Picross puzzles require. I like that. I like my mind games to be logic problems, not games of chance or memory from repeating the puzzles. I haven't finished every puzzle, but every one I have, when I run out of ways to solve a square w/ logic, switching to a new color/layer turns up new answers. More often than not, there isn't a single square I have to guess about or assume because it would finish the picture I think the artist drew.

Picross ripoff it may be to some, but in my opinion this is actually a better game. Really, if you enjoyed Picross, give Color Cross an honest shot. If you haven't played Picross, play Picross first and then Color Cross if Picross is to your liking. This game is one of those greats that "no one ever played" and is doomed to be on lists saying as much. It's a shame.

Schaapje82

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Used properly they tend to make the puzzles solvable by logic more than the guess work and memory (from repeating the puzzle) that some Picross puzzles require. I like that. I like my mind games to be logic problems, not games of chance or memory from repeating the puzzles. I haven't finished every puzzle, but every one I have, when I run out of ways to solve a square w/ logic, switching to a new color/layer turns up new answers. More often than not, there isn't a single square I have to guess about or assume because it would finish the picture I think the artist drew.

I actually bought this one as it came out. And I have to say, I disagree with KidIce. I think the thing you describe makes the puzzels too easy. With picross you have to think logically as to which squares can be filled in which not. The logic is gone in colour cross. You can just fill out the squares according to the pattern and you hardly have to think about it. I like the new aspect, color, but it's too easy for me. I like picross 3d alot more.

ShadowPirater

Newcomer
Trophies
beyond reality, in the shadows of nowhere
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I can't believe missed this when it came out. I loved Picross and Picross 3D, so I downloaded it as soon as I saw this thread. So far, it's been a fair game. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a clone, but it doesn't seem to add too much to the gameplay. The final picture tends to be more interesting due to the addition of color though. I've just started, so it may be too early to judge. Maybe it'll get more interesting if/when I arrive at the harder puzzles.

mikem4

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used properly they tend to make the puzzles solvable by logic more than the guess work and memory (from repeating the puzzle) that some Picross puzzles require. I like that. I like my mind games to be logic problems, not games of chance or memory from repeating the puzzles. I haven't finished every puzzle, but every one I have, when I run out of ways to solve a square w/ logic, switching to a new color/layer turns up new answers. More often than not, there isn't a single square I have to guess about or assume because it would finish the picture I think the artist drew.

I actually bought this one as it came out. And I have to say, I disagree with KidIce. I think the thing you describe makes the puzzels too easy. With picross you have to think logically as to which squares can be filled in which not. The logic is gone in colour cross. You can just fill out the squares according to the pattern and you hardly have to think about it. I like the new aspect, color, but it's too easy for me. I like picross 3d alot more.

I agree with Schaapje82. Picross and Picross 3D are superior to this game. I prefer the way color picross is done in Essential Sudoku DS compared to Color Cross. As far as Kidice's comment about logic versus guessing- I've had to guess because of time limitations, but I think
the entire puzzle can be solved logically.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.