GBAtemp game of the week- week #16

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by FAST6191, Aug 24, 2011.

Aug 24, 2011
  1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    GBAtemp game of the week- week #16

Now we kick off week #16 of the GBAtemp book game club. The series started with the aim of sharing games worth knowing about for whatever reason. I might have been their overall quality, historical implications (the return of a genre), a novel mechanic or simply that we felt it would be worth being able to say "yeah I played that once". There are no restrictions on systems the games can come from but more often than not they will be from one of the consoles we cover around here. For each thread we do a short writeup on the game and other things related to the game worth knowing about but the real discussion happens in the thread itself where anything from the art design to the music to the level design to the engine or some small aspect of those or something else can be discussed. Games the take positions on top games lists can and will appear but a big focus of this is games that when those few top flight ones are gone are worth knowing about. To this end games that "most people that own this console have probably owned a copy at some point", able to be classified as a hidden gem (oh so often games get buried in release schedules and obscure launch areas only be to discovered when they are hard to source), all the systems covered have top notch homebrew, rom hacking has made for some interesting creations many of which are worth knowing about. On top of this we might occasionally mix things up with a compare and contrast of some other restriction- budget titles, titles from the first year and so forth.[/p]

Lone Wolf Series

[​IMG]

The DS caused something of a resurgence in point and click adventure type games and the genres that feed from it and homebrew was no exception with several entries into the genre. Lone Wolf DS is a port of a series of fantasy themed game books of the same that that started being released in the mid 1980's and is often counted among the top games on the DS (homebrew or otherwise). The books/games allow you to transfer your characters between books as well. Prior to the graphical port there was a port of the first book for the hyena audiobook player which featured some novel play/control mechanisms. The series itself follows the survivor of an attack on a warrior school as they attempt to piece together what happens and set things right.[/p]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Offsite downloads
    No filetrip link at request of the author/license holders.

A desecration of a classic game book or something for commercial developers to lose sleep over? Share your thoughts in the discussion below if you wish.[/p]
    [​IMG] Discuss

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&search_tags=gbagotw&search_app= should get you other links in this series

2. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    +1 on this recommendation. I played through the first 3 books before I got rid of my DS. Good stuff.

3. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    this is a great pick. i was pretty involved in this homebrew and caught many little bugs during testing. i've really enjoyed the books he put out and have recommended them countless times. i actually grew up playing this "game" using the real books. i own the first 10 or so as paperbacks. at one point i asked the developer if he was going to continue with the series. the game mechanics change so much around the 6th book that he felt he would need to rewrite major parts of the project. he mentioned that if there was enough demand from the community that he might consider doing it. everyone who comments about this project be sure to ask for more books! =)

-another world

4. Keshire

Member Keshire GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is a fantastic series of 'games'. The amount of polish and presentation should really make this a commercial game.

5. celeron53

Member celeron53 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i played every "book" that was released to the DS. I love the replay vaules that this homebrew has to offer.

6. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    this isn't really a game it's a book [​IMG]
    and the fighting fantasy books are better

7. harroxelas

Newcomer harroxelas Member

Brazil
    I remember playing one "game-book" of the lone wolf series. I did play A LOT of those Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson's "game-books". Will surely get this lonewolf "port" for the DS!

8. ~Stenny

Member ~Stenny GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    this is one of the best homebrew games ever made for the DS.

still waiting for the Magnakai series. recommended to everyone!

9. Todderbert

Member Todderbert GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I just played Book One, "Flight from the Dark". I was impressed by the quality and presentation. A gripping story and interesting skill mechanics. Thanks for a great recommendation!

10. ultimate.fake.ac

Member ultimate.fake.ac GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    This is one of my favourite homebrew. I would absolutely love to see more books for it come out. Highly recommended.

11. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    i was encouraged to this by AW
    its a very peaceful game but that its short. it ends before it begins but otherwise if u keep going with all the books, it will be lovely