FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

70 is the number of this GBAtemp book game club. As ever is the introduction which begins with the rough overview of what we are about. There are many games worth playing and at GBAtemp we have several series dedicated to sharing titles worth having said you played, this is one of them. However where some others might be more about a single person reviewing a game we like to have this as more about those commenting in the threads than the topic opener discussing the game.
Our main sources for the suggestions are the large libraries of code for the GBA, DS and Wii. Each of those have things in the form of ROM hacks, commercial games, homebrew code and all manner of other things like leaked betas and unreleased games. We might occasionally stray onto platforms the DS can emulate, equally if there are notable entries on another platform we will try to mention those too.
The "worth having said you played" part was careful wording on our part as well for this is not intended to be a top ? games list. We hold those get quite samey very quickly, beyond that it leaves out a lot of the interesting attempts made by developers to try to forge new franchises or take interesting directions with established ones that might fall short in the attempt. What goes into the selection process is not going to be elaborated upon much more than that other than when there is a special reason for a selection or there is a running theme. Occasionally there will be a compare and contrast posed for a group of related titles or a run/challenge set as well but for the most part it is a single vanilla (give or take the ROM hack we might be selecting) game.

#70 - Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (NDS)

Probably one of Capcom developer Shu Takumi's (the Ace attorney series and Dino Crisis 2, among other things) lesser known works, though one that bears all the hallmarks of such a talent. Without venturing too far into spoiler territory (nothing you will not really find out from a trailer or the first few minutes) you play as kind of time travelling ghost with abilities to move some objects in the real world, the game is then something of an investigative puzzle game as you attempt to change the future for the better and maybe solve the riddle of your own death. Fans of 2d animation will not be left wanting by this either, which is to say some of the effects and animations are top notch. There is also an IOS version which is pretty faithful to the DS original.
The game was heralded as one of the best handheld titles going when it was released, and for the most part that label has stuck around since. However there are still those that have not played it so for those, and those that might just want to replay it, we have it here today.

Gameplay trailer, much more is available as well

go6786.png

GBAtemp release thread

For all their flaws do Capcom occasionally do things right or does it fall short for you?

gbagotw should get you other links in this series

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Easily one of the best DS games I played, maybe even my personal favorite. Everyone should've played this, really. I tried the iOS version as well; it's actually pretty nice. It's the same game but the graphics look a bit better. (top screen is not really needed in this game anyway)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A brilliantly original title and we're really lucky that this got localised. Think it's the last DS game that I purchased, either that or Monster's Tale.

Easily Capcom's best release for a long time.

Geren

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Spain
I loved everything about this game: the characters, those damned plot twists, the animations, OH the music!

Once I got hooked, I didn't stop until I finished it. I encourage everyone who hasn't played it to give it a go.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Personally thought this felt fresher in one way or another compared to the Ace Attorney series. Great series and well worth the little $$ needed nowadays to buy it! :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...