FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

GBAtemp book game club would appear to be at edition 57.The feature otherwise known as GBAtemp book game club is pretty much summed up as a suggestion of a game is made and then those that want can discuss parts of it or review things about it among the others in the thread. Unlike the Retro reviews thread this is less about us reviewing the title and more about the others that want to take part. The selections are also more focused on the GBA, DS and Wii with the occasional aside into systems the DS can emulate but between rom hacks, homebrew, leaked code and commercial releases there are some big libraries to get though. Equally this is not just about the best games for the system (those do feature heavily though) and games that tried something interesting in general or for the system can easily find themselves the subject of an edition.There will be occasion compare and contrast episodes, extra selection criteria or a certain game run might be posed but those will be mentioned if they apply to an edition.

#57- Age of Empires: Mythologies (DS)

An interesting release from a number of perspectives. The original age of empires series was a very popular real time strategy game for the PC back in the late 90's and early 2000's but by the time of release the series was nowhere near as well known as it was in the series heyday. Early on in the DS lifetime though there was a turn based strategy game sporting the Age of Empires name and this was part sequel to that and part handheld spinoff of the Age of Empires spinoff known as Age of Mythology. Both games had interesting twists on the Age of Empires formula and although this second title was accused of dumbing down by virtue of removing a few features some might instead say streamlined instead. At first glance gameplay would appear to be similar to either the DS ports of the Anno series or the DS port of Civilisation and although neither is entirely wrong we hold it does manage to carve out a niche for itself by virtue of the somewhat quicker play which some that like the idea of those other games but did not care for the execution might be on the lookout for.

Trailer for the game

4111.png

GBAtemp release thread

Developers Griptonite Games are usually better known for film tie in games and doing the handheld ports of titles (they did several entries in the Assassin's creed franchise for the handhelds). Did they besmirch the legacy of classic franchise or did they prove they are more than just the developer of cheap and cheerful handheld ports?

gbagotw should get you other links in this series

B-Blue

slut
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Antarctica
This game is fucking great. One of the best turn-based games on the DS.
If you like Advance wars gameplay with a twist of Warcraft tactics (building structures to create units, mythical monsters, etc...) then this is the game for you.

EDIT: Spelling and shit.

Reactions: 1 person

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I loved the series! It was a great blend of RTS mechanics (making units, earning resources, researching) adapted to a turn-based system. it's kinda sad that they ditched the XP factor though, because veteran units were freaking awesome.

also, this game (and the other Age of Empires DS) is nowhere near Anno and Civilization in scope. CivRev DS is a 4X/TBS hybrid, which i also loved. Anno is more of business tycoon simulator with a splash of warring in it.

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
The transition from RTS to TBS is as good as it could be, and I loved playing this game. Being a mythology buff, I enjoyed the game a hell lot more than usual.

I had no problems with it being TBS as I grew up playing Heroes of Might & Magic 2 and 3, so I wouldn't have any problem recommending this. I don't think they besmirched the franchise as it's a good addition albeit straying from the RTS formula.

Played multiplayer with my brother, amassing units together with a truce to destroy the AI, then going all out with each other. Fun.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
The transition from RTS to TBS is as good as it could be, and I loved playing this game. Being a mythology buff, I enjoyed the game a hell lot more than usual.

I had no problems with it being TBS as I grew up playing Heroes of Might & Magic 2 and 3, so I wouldn't have any problem recommending this. I don't think they besmirched the franchise as it's a good addition albeit straying from the RTS formula.

Played multiplayer with my brother, amassing units together with a truce to destroy the AI, then going all out with each other. Fun.
I imagine the game took a while to finish, ahaha. Turn-based games aren't exactly very quick games, especially when you're both good and both playing carefully. of course, you could always rush an opponent early on if you're using Norse on small maps.

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
I imagine the game took a while to finish, ahaha. Turn-based games aren't exactly very quick games, especially when you're both good and both playing carefully. of course, you could always rush an opponent early on if you're using Norse on small maps.
It did take a couple of hours, I used Norse while he used the Egyptians. It was all we could do, we were outside during a boring event anyway. My favorite is the Norse civilization, it's really mobile.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
It did take a couple of hours, I used Norse while he used the Egyptians. It was all we could do, we were outside during a boring event anyway. My favorite is the Norse civilization, it's really mobile.
Their resources are painfully slow though, and losing an oxen cart can be hard to recover from. unless you can just keep using favor to buy summoned units.

I think my favorite were the Egyptians and those scrawny bird myth units. properly upgraded and the correct gods, they eat everything alive. plus the civilization can brickwall enemies very well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it