FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

56 is the number of this edition of GBAtemp's book game club.

GBAtemp's book game club is a feature wherein we explore the best and also the most interesting ideas from the libraries of commercial games, homebrew, rom hacks and leaked code for the GBA, DS and Wii (as well as the occasional game the DS can emulate). Afterwards if you are just playing it for the first time or wish to recall a previous play through you are invited to discuss it among the others in the thread.

#56- Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)

The year was 2007 and the handhelds had been gaining a reputation as a place for ports and sequels and others had been bemoaning the lack of adventure/story driven puzzle games (indeed we have attempted to feature many of the better attempts at them in earlier editions of this series) when all of a sudden veteran developers Level-5 (previously known for their work on Dragon Quest 8 among other things although they have since released several other highly acclaimed franchises) unleashed the Professor Layton series on the world. It would take a year to make it out of Japan but for a little puzzle game it took the DS by storm.
The game itself as mentioned is a story driven adventure featuring a lot of puzzles with the puzzles themselves coming from a variety of puzzle genres and some make great use of the DS hardware. We also hold it makes for a great DS game to have around but be able to stick the DS in hibernate at short notice and those are not as common as they might be.

Trailer from the game

[/p]

go2845.png

GBAtemp release thread[/p]

Should Level-5 have stuck to making RPG type games or did the make something special?[/p]

gbagotw should get you other links in this series

Daemauroa

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It was indeed a great game... seeing it here already makes me wonder if I should finish the 3rd professor layton game quick... last week there was a gba game, so I was suprised seeing this here because this game is fairly new right?

anyway, loved the first game, and I am looking forward to the Phoenix wright versus Professor layton game.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

I thoroughly enjoyed Layton and the Curious Village. It was a really good game that was improved upon even more in the later Professor Layton iterations.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The Layton-series is really worth having in your collection.
An entirely new kind of puzzle-game, with a thrilling story you can't put down.

Izzy011

The Business Bitch
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This games ending was metroid-on-head retarded. I did enjoy the game though
If only I was motivated to finish the series

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
One of the best games of the DS library, by far. Also, possibly the best Layton game of all, with only The Unwound Future being an apt candidate to compete against it.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Great game, I only recently played and finished this one. I started out with Diabolical Box and played then moved onto Unwound Future and Last Specter. I decided I needed to play the first one since I had played all the others so far.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
too bad riddles in later games got even more repetitive. and storytwists even easier to see through (though 100% retarded most of the time)

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This game is amazing! I'm quite surprised to see it here!
One of the games that made me bought 3DS was Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright!
I hope we see this game soon!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1