FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Following the little break it is time for a GBAtemp book game club. To refresh everybody on the concept this series is one where we suggest a game (or three) to play and after that those that wish can discuss it.The selections are made using many different criteria although we do want to say that this is not intended to be a top ? games list if for no other reason than a search on your chosen search engine for top ? games should net you lists of them for genres, consoles and whatever else you might wish to refine the list by. Not being bound by some notions of quality (or worse review scores) it allows games to be selected should they demonstrate an interesting mechanic, a nice score, represent a new idea or an old idea brought back/polished up for a company, console or genre as well as simply being quality games or underrated games.The selections for this series will usually come from the consoles we traditionally covered around here but each of those has a large collection of rom hacks, commercial releases, homebrew games and otherwise to look at that are in many cases still growing. In an attempt to mix things up and keep the series somewhat fresh there can be other criteria not necessarily related to the game itself like it only being released in Europe, only released in a small run, be available right now on a given budget as well as doing things like compare and contrast titles if there are several examples of a game or posing a challenge run within the game.

#34- Infinite Space (NDS)

A joint effort between Nude Maker (Steel Battalion) and Platinum games (Bayonetta, Vanquish and MadWorld) who were in turn made from the ashes of Clover studio (Okami, Viewtiful Joe and one of the few games ever to wear the "so bad it is good" label "God Hand") and overseen by several noted peopled meant people were expecting something interesting at least although excitement was tempered by it being the first proper handheld title for the companies involved. What appeared in the end was a story driven strategy RPG (although combat is real time/does not pause for menus similar to some RPGs and control is similar to an RTS) somewhat reminiscent of Skies of Arcadia as opposed to the likes of Elite. As with many entries into this style of game it has been accused of taking a while to warm up but that is fairly standard for the genre. Unlike some of the other games we have looked at over the course of this series this did get a lot of attention at the time of release but has since fallen by the wayside to mainly only be remembered by those that were there at the time so we shine a light on it today.

Gameplay trailer (others available)

go6066.png

Has the general dearth of space sims in recent years, especially on the DS, caused us to mistake an example of the genre with a good game or did Nude Maker and Platinum games make something special? Discuss it among others in the thread below. Fans of elite/free roaming space shooters are invited to look at the DS (AGB only) and GBA (AGB and TNK) ports of elite by Quirky, one of our favourites here on the GBAtemp recommends desk of "Sea Trader Rise of Taipan" on the GBA and the GBA homebrew Trade winds as well.

gbagotw should get you other links in this series

RedJiggly

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey Fast,I really recommend you review Big Bang Mini for the next game of the week.
Great hidden gem for the DS.
I agree with this.

And about Infinite Space. I haven't played it but I've seen it before. It looks overly complicated to me. Could be a bad thing, or a good thing.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Infinite Space is a really awesome game, one of my fave games for the DS. ^^
The story and graphics are really nice (for a ds game), not to mention it's rather challenging, one just needs to know how to play tho, it kinda comes with a while after playing.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played Infinite Space a few months back and played for approximately 3 hrs before I had to turn it off from boredom. Not saying it's a bad game, it just wan't for me I guess.

I will also +1 Big Bang Mini. :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Probably going to send this off topic but hey.
Vigilante suggestions are certainly welcome and I might add it to the pile for later but I think for once I actually have the entry for next week this week (I was reminded of and maybe even the one after that. I think I played it once as part of a breakneck tour of roms 3000 and upwards but if I do that I will also have to shake off the feeling that I enjoyed meteora* ( http://filetrip.net/f897-Meteora-0-9-2-Galactic-Battle.html ) more.
Equally apologies if it is a language thing and you were searching for a word but I do not like to use the term review with regards to the initial posts for this series- when we do the recommends and retro reviews those are played and tested with the aim of writing up what we think of them even if it just a few lines. Game of the week posts however I purposely limit any criticism of my own and any references to other reviews are there as incidental text or if the game does something differently (platforming via stylus as opposed to Dpad or something like that) so as to give others a rough idea of what goes not to mention when I do a full review of something it tends to end up significantly larger than a portal post can reasonably be. On the other hand we welcome with open arms and encourage anybody that wishes to do a review type response or share opinions on the quality of the game (or some facet of it) to any of these suggestions (such things were one of the goals of this series so to speak) and if I reply to these threads then I might share some actual opinions.

RedJiggly I am trying to phrase a response and not getting far but for me at least sometimes overcomplicated is what is necessary for the moment.

*one video of meteora
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK-GpGutIzg

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried to get into this game before and just couldn't manage. Maybe I was too impatient and didn't get as much out of the tutorials as I should have, but I found myself very confused on how to set up my first ship, how to fight battles, etc. At this point, I'll just go ahead and guess that this game isn't my cup of tea. Maybe I'll try it again at some point.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
love this game, but for the life of me i haven't gotten to the second part of the story. XD

will have to eventually, i'm just stuck on time-sink games right now (CIv III on PC and CivRev on DS).

btw, the mention of "free roam space shooters" reminds me of a fave PC title from way back, X-Beyond the Frontier. also a fave, because of the merchant economy mechanic (there are also lots of pirates in the game), lots of alien cultures to haggle/ally/fight with, and tons of stuff to do. you're limited to exploring space sectors, but these sectors are HUGE, especially in the beginning when you are limited to 10-minute flights between space structures trying to buy and sell stuff for funds.

it's basically a space version of Morrowind, only it came out WAAAAY earlier (it was around during the hey days of Win98SE and WinME was still relatively new).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: yes? Interesting way to get Hi