GBAtemp game of the week- #25

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by FAST6191, Oct 27, 2011.

Oct 27, 2011

GBAtemp game of the week- #25 by FAST6191 at 3:33 AM (2,554 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom

Time once again for the GBAtemp book game club. The quick overview is each go around a game is suggested by us and then discussed by those that wish to join in. It should be noted that this is no top ? games list (although such games certainly feature) as the suggestions can arise on the basis of a great mechanic, a great theme, something of note within the industry (a swansong or something) or something along those lines. On occasion things are mixed up a bit by way of additional criteria or we try a special feature but for the most part commercial games, homebrew, rom hacks or otherwise from one of the systems we cover will have a rom hack, homebrew title or commercial game will be selected.

#25- The Dark Spire (NDS)

At the risk of having this series covering the best of DS dungeon crawlers this week we have a The Dark Spire from developers Success. Something of a throwback to the wizardry series and games of that era but with a DS twist (if you want it though there is a 286 emulation style mode). Depending on how you like your games it might serve to scan a game mechanics list/FAQ as there are a lot of stats (it is on the way to being a roguelike).

Classic game room review.
    [/p][​IMG][/p]GBAtemp release thread[/p]

An echo of past greatness or a relic of a darker time?. Discuss it in the thread below.
    [​IMG]ongoing discussion

gbagotw should get you other links in this series

2. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    This reminds me of a certain NES game, though I can't remember the name.

It does bring back memories of dying a lot in said game XD.

Nonetheless, this looks really nice and has a old dungeon crawler feel to it.

3. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Erhm, is it just me, or is the description.. short.. compared to the other GBAGOTWs.

Anyways, I might try this out, after I finish the Last Specter.

4. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Actually yeah I might have posted a bit before I meant to but I do try to keep mine short- this is less about me/GBAtemp reviewing things than community discussion. For reviews we have the recommends series.

5. portezbie

Member portezbie GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Dang, I'm a big fan of dungeon crawlers but I never liked when they were first person like this.

For anyone else interested in crawlers, check out the izuna games for the ds and the binding of isaac, a relatively new pc game which is awesome.

6. aragon

Member aragon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, that reminds me to put it in my playlist for the winter months again...
    Great game and marvellous soundtrack!

7. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I was really looking forward to this game, I remember hyping it up with my NDS Releases of the Week threads and then it came out and it was incredibly boring.

1 person likes this.
  8. Walker D

Member Walker D I have a hat

Brazil
    If Classic game room indicates it, I play :yaynds: hehe

9. trance

Member trance GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    This makes me miss Ultima Underworld

10. smile72

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    I've been meaning to play this but have never gotten the chance. I'll probably play this after I finish Lost in Blue 2.

11. hellklown

Newcomer hellklown Member

Mexico
    I was also looking forward for this one when I saw it posted in the thread and was a little dissapointed with it.
    While I don't consider myself a hardcore d-crawler fan, I enjoyed the Etrian Oddisey ones and liked the style that is used in this one but ultimately lost interest in it (mostly due to several other games that I was looking forward to being released) . Maybe I'll give it another chance since I haven't touched my DS in a while XD.