GBAtemp game of the week-#12 Away: Shuffle Dungeon

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by FAST6191, Jul 27, 2011.

Jul 27, 2011
  1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    GBAtemp game of the week- week #12

The 12th week of the GBAtemp book game club is upon us and this week we find ourselves looking at an odd DS title. The idea behind these is each week we pick a game from the large library of hacks, commercial titles, homebrew titles or otherwise from one of the systems we cover around here and get together to discuss it. We enjoy top games lists and fun games are always desirable/aimed for but if a game showcases a nice mechanic, an attempt at one or something else that makes it worth your while to say "yeah I played that once" it could find itself among these titles just as easily. Indeed some might argue this week is a good example of such a thing.[/p]

Away: Shuffle Dungeon on the DS

Along with review scores attempting to classify games into genres has come under fire in recent years with the genre "action adventure" becoming something of a byword for "everything else" and this game almost certainly fits into the "everything else" category. On the face of it the game is your fairly standard handheld/16 bit era action RPG that developers Mistwalker and Artoon who have a fair amount of experience in more standard RPGs (between them the are responsible for Archaic Sealed Heat and various Blue Dragon games although they have done a fair bit in other genres too) but underneath it brings a fairly warped story and several gameplay elements usually found in puzzle games, some of the more quirky platformers of yesteryear (at various points we could not help but think of Crusader of the Centy/Soleil) and a healthy dose of roguelikes. The main gimmick so to speak is that each side of the screen gets shuffled when the (normally 10 second) time limit runs out with nasty effects meaning you need to be on the other side. It got fairly mixed reviews when it appeared with the main criticism being it could be too easy at points.[/p]

[​IMG]
    Fans of box art the EU and Japanese boxart was quite different​
    GBAtemp release thread

A trailer with a fair bit of gameplay​
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5YBY30Wayg[/youtube]​

Has our RPG fatigue caused us to mistake novelty for fun or have we pointed you at a quirky game you missed at the time? Share your thoughts int he discussion below[/p]

[​IMG] Discuss

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&search_tags=gbagotw&search_app= should get you other links in this series

2. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    yeah i remember this damn game i played it for about 10 mins than trashed it [​IMG]

3. Fel

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    I've wanted to try this one for a long time but I still haven't gotten the chance, I'm pre-occuped by other games.

But it's nice that others may get to know this game who've passed up on it or never heard of it. [​IMG]

4. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Interesting selection. I definitely enjoyed what I played of the game, but if memory serves, it was a case of coming out during a time when other, more compelling games were released. I liked it, though. It had a nice mix of things going on: a bit of Animal Crossing, some arcade-style action, and of course, the RPG elements. Very cute, nice to look at, decent controls. It's one of those you have to be patient with. It's slow to get going, and the story is very Japanese.

5. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    Never heard of it, looks interesting. Maybe I will give a try later, when I finish Dr. Heckyll & Mr. Hyde xD

6. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Most of the games chosen are sub-par at best, including this one.

7. Arschkrampi

Newcomer Arschkrampi The Purple Avenger

Germany
    I'm sorry, but I seem too dumb for this game.
    I started it. Watched the intro.
    Then I'm supposed to talk to Anella.
    Who the &%$ยง is Anella? And where is she, for that matter?
    Her house is empty. The other people have nothing to say about her.
    Three screens later I still havn't found her.

Please somebody tell me what to do.

Never mind I found her. [​IMG] Why cant they tell you where to go?

8. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    hadrian its more of a underrated list than the best games list.
    its an addictive game but if i am not mistaken, it gets repetitive although still addictive. the fighting is also not too difficult.

9. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Because of this thread, I decided to go ahead and get this game. I love it to bits!