GBAtemp first impressions - Miyoo Mini

Today we have our first look at the latest in a long line of Chinese handheld emulation devices - the Miyoo Mini. Powered by an ARM Cortex-A7 dual-core 1.2G and 128MB RAM; the Mini touts being capable of emulating systems up to and including the original PlayStation.

miyoomini.jpg

PXL_20211223_150141592.jpg PXL_20211223_150257447.jpg PXL_20211223_151236911.jpg

The Miyoo Mini sports a 2.8 inch screen at 640x480 that manages to squeeze in 286 pixels per inch. It's an IPS panel with rich and vibrant colours and the minimal bezels definitely help accentuate it. The screen appears to be coated in glass but in our initial testing we can’t tell if this is actually glass or just a high quality plastic. The screen is definitely the highlight of this unit - response times seem good and ghosting is very minimal.

In fact, compared to previous consoles of this kind (Bittboy, Anbernic etc.); build quality as a whole is a huge step up. The plastic casing feels high quality and sturdy and the face buttons are well moulded. The d-pad in particular is surprisingly decent and finds that good balance between a clicky and a mushy response when pressed. The four face buttons also feel good but have a bit too much resistance for my liking but this may improve with use. The remaining buttons (L1, L2, R1, R2), start, select and the menu button are all simple microswitch buttons.

There is also a vibration motor inside the unit for compatible PS1 games though in our limited first time testing we didn’t get to test this so keep an eye out for our full GBAtemp review of the Miyoo Mini.

PXL_20211223_151441540.jpg

PXL_20211223_151408469.jpg PXL_20211223_151456994.jpg

For audio, a single mono speaker is placed under the action buttons and this is where the Mini doesn’t fare quite as well. While volume control is very granular thanks to the volume wheel on the left hand side of the unit and it gets very loud; audio quality is quite bad with frequent popping and crackling. The placement of the speaker means your thumb also regularly rests on the speaker grill, muffling the audio. Thankfully there is a headphone jack on the bottom of the unit, so whether the poor sound quality is the fault of the built-in emulators or the hardware itself will be covered in our upcoming full review.

The Miyoo Mini sizes up at just 65x94mm (2.5x3.7 inches) and weighs in at just 108 grams - making it by far one of the most compact devices of its type. For a console that can sit in the palm of your hand, you would be forgiven for thinking such a small device would be cramp inducing but with my average sized hands I actually found it fairly comfortable for short gaming sessions. The placement of the buttons and weight distribution are well done and the line-grooved grip on the back along with the angled rear buttons make the Miyoo Mini surprisingly playable.

The Miyoo Mini includes a 1900mAh rechargeable battery and is supplied with a USB-A to USB-C cable in the box for charging. Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to support USB-C power delivery so it will only slow charge over a standard USB-A connection which is somewhat disappointing.

PXL_20211223_151508614.jpg PXL_20211223_151528101.jpg

The Miyoo Mini boots up in just 9-10 seconds and is powered by some form of minimal Linux distribution. The interface is surprisingly straightforward and user friendly. With options for recent games, game library, Retroarch and other apps and the device settings where screen brightness etc can be tweaked.

We’ve spent several hours with the Miyoo Mini at the time of this review and have tested several platforms from NES to PS1 using the default built-in emulators. Initial impressions of the performance are mixed, with the console beginning to struggle with the later generation Super Nintendo games such as Yoshi’s Island which begins to exhibit minor stuttering and audio issues.

Fortunately the Miyoo Mini also runs Retroarch alongside its default emulators so performance may improve with some minor tweaks to the Retroarch settings and core options. Stay tuned to our full review for further impressions.

There is also the potential for custom firmware which many other devices of this kind have received. In fact, the popular Triforce CFW already lists Miyoo Mini on the compatible list, though this is coming "soon".

Our initial impressions of the Miyoo Mini are somewhat positive. It's a huge step up in quality in many areas for these cheap handheld emulation devices. The 2.8” IPS display is definitely the stand out feature and the compact size is more practical than I expected. With a decent feel in the hands thanks to decent button placements and a high build quality the Miyoo Mini delivers an experience that pushes past its relatively low asking price of $60-$70. Unfortunately it's not perfect so look out for our full review which should arrive next month.

Do you have any questions about the Miyoo Mini? Let us know below and we will do our best to answer.

Thank you to the folks at KeepRetro who sent us a review unit to test out. You can find the Miyoo Mini at their store via the link below:

:arrow: KeepRetro Miyoo Mini (pre-order)

Bastich76

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been enjoying my ODroid Go Advance running Emuelec. It runs up to PS1 with no issues. I haven't tested the whole PSP library but the games I've tried have been great. Dreamcast and N64 are a little iffy, but you can get some running OK. I was also able to get native Pico 8 running on the system instead of emulation. The lack of a 2nd analog limits the 3D games you can play, but it's overall a decent system. About $80 for the one you assemble yourself. It reasonably fits in your pocket as well. Just be careful with the analog stick. Only issue I have is the lack of an external sound dial. You have to adjust the volume within Emuelec and can't do it while in game.

SmokeFox

Trophies
Website
www.romhacking.net
XP
Country
Brazil
Man, i do love the size of this thing, i have a playgo(pocket go v2) and the ips screen is great for 16 bit emulation. Although the vita is the way for retro emulation, ps one and psp, it is funny to see like we did not have these chinese handhelds at 2018. Its 2021/2022 and they are improving. Ambernic for example produces high quality handhelds.

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The main advantage I can see to this compared to a Vita may be it's size and/or it's price depending on the use case.

Subject to taxes, this works out about half the price of a Vita where I live.

Get a Steamdeck and then you have a full PC.

Get. A. Steamdeck.

(Sits back and waits to see how I'll be one upped).

Get a sager laptop with desktop cpu and 3080 in it. Then use moonlight streaming from that to ur switch lol. Full power, and portable if ur clever with a backpack and ignore heating issues lol

RocketFan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a a few of these Chinese handhelds, including a Powkiddy V90 and the RG351V. This sounds like it performs similar to the V90, but that did improve some once the custom Firmware was installed (same exact FW which should eventually support this device). I like the Gameboy-like formfactor and "pocketable" size of this. Looking on Aliexpress I see these in the $60 ballpark. That seems a bit high, when the V90 is a also great device for closer to $40 or even approaching $30 if you look really hard.

pucky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
managed to order 1 yesterday, but it gonna take a while to arrive. (mail says estimated 23 januari)
hope it will be as good as i heard :P

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
I just ordered one, I didn't know it didn't have a RTC though. I was hoping to play the gameboy color Pokemon games on it. I guess I'll have to get clock hacks after all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really...