Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia

GBAtemp Cleanup

Site downtime and slowdowns addressed

GBAtemp staff have been working non-stop for several hours cleaning up the forums. We have managed to archive over 300,000 posts! Along with this we have made improvements to the database to make GBAtemp load faster for you.

• Forum posts have been archived to reduce the strain on the server.
  • Improved mysql forum caching, this should make GBAtemp run faster.

Over the last few days you may have noticed that GBAtemp was brought to a stand still by the sheer number of visitors, by archiving old GBAtemp posts and improving our database we hope to avoid any further downtime and slowdowns.

Fret not though, the old topics and posts have not been deleted. They will re-appear in a special archive forum which we will setup in the next few days for your viewing pleasure.

A side effect of our optimisations and clean up is that your portal preferences have been restored to the default view (New Portal; General, Homebrew, NDS, GBA, Wii). We appologise for this inconvenience. You may change the order in which news items appear (or even disable news items) by editing your preferences in your profile:

Some more changes may be made in the next few days, but for now we hope you enjoy the improvements we have made!

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
No, in an ideal world we shouldn't have to block redirects from digg but embrace them instead.

This spring cleaning should hopefully make GBAtemp perform better under strain. Lets see how it performs next time we get an influx of visitors.

stefanc

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nice
laugh.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, top job!
I was worried when I saw the word "archive"...
..I like reading the old stuff, history lesson and all that.
Glad they're not gonesville.
Glad to have you back!
thumbsup.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
we'll put up some interesting features such as one to bring back a topic from the archive forum to the current forum, in case someone wants to reply in it

but for now I need to set up this archive forum.

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Please tell me the Hotel is staying out of Archives? I'll only accept it going in if you call it the "Hall of Fame" topics...like the grog one
smile.gif
j/k =D

Good to see the clean up too.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, GBAtemp is getting stronger and stronger... and can't contain itself. Not surprised. I have a friend who wanted a flash device so I told him to go to GBAtemp. He came to the decision that he's going to get an M3 Simply.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Could someone fill me in on the http://www.digg.com thing? I've searched on gbatemp and looked over the top 10 stuff in the different categories. But couldn't find any connection between digg and gbatemp.

Sorry for das stupidity, but im curious
biggrin.gif

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone fill me in on the http://www.digg.com thing? I've searched on gbatemp and looked over the top 10 stuff in the different categories. But couldn't find any connection between digg and gbatemp.

biggrin.gif
Not too sure about the whole digg.com thing as well but if I have to guess, I suppose that ever since Wii game images were appearing on GBAtemp, tons of people were coming here thinking that a way to play them has already been found. I think it's just good publicity.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

biggrin.gif

Not too sure about the whole digg.com thing as well but if I have to guess, I suppose that ever since Wii game images were appearing on GBAtemp, tons of people were coming here thinking that a way to play them has already been found. I think it's just good publicity.

Right.. I forgot about those wii fake releases.. But we've been having alot of new people along with these new slot1 unit reviews too. Maybe that was just it, but if someone has a more detailed story to it.. im all ears
wub.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you guys, my greatest complain about gbatemp(if any) was the slow loading times.
Now it's much faster and pleasent to brows the site !
Cheers to the #1 site ........
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I could claw back 14tb by only doing 2 parity disks but I feel like with 13 disks in the RAID...