Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slice 1.png

Features​
  • Sleek dark theme
  • Easy and customizable navigations
  • The ability to follow / block / ignore and PM any user with the tap of your thumb
  • Keep up to date on what you want when you want to!
  • Special mod portal
  • Free with ads if gbatemp does decide to do so
This is just a concept! I have no intention to actually make this.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'll be brutally honest because I feel as though this could go a long way - To me in its current form it's a little cramped and dingy, and that's coming from someone who likes to compact and slim down his UIs as much as possible - also that's a hell of a lot of ad space considering the amount of screen estate you're wasting.

A huge stand-out to me is your emphasis on the actual content that GBAtemp serves, and alongside that maybe there should be some kind of additional emphasis on "Updates" - by which I mean a combination of what news you might be subscribed to and also reactions/replies to your posts (yes, the dreaded feed!).

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be brutally honest because I feel as though this could go a long way - To me in its current form it's a little cramped and dingy, and that's coming from someone who likes to compact and slim down his UIs as much as possible - also that's a hell of a lot of ad space considering the amount of screen estate you're wasting.

A huge stand-out to me is your emphasis on the actual content that GBAtemp serves, and alongside that maybe there should be some kind of additional emphasis on "Updates" - by which I mean a combination of what news you might be subscribed to and also reactions/replies to your posts (yes, the dreaded feed!).
For v3 I will try to spread things out more and tone down on that ad. In all honesty I just did not know what to put there and it seemed strange not having anything in that big of a space. Do you have any suggestion on how I could make it less compact?

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
For v3 I will try to spread things out more and tone down on that ad. In all honesty I just did not know what to put there and it seemed strange not having anything in that big of a space. Do you have any suggestion on how I could make it less compact?
I'm aware that it's a very controversial opinion, but I'm actually a huge fan of card-like design in which most media are baked into boxes which can be adjusted to occupy the available space or emphasise where needed (The Guardian and Next FT are my favourite go-to examples for card design). Something like that, coupled with something like this could look absolutely lovely.

Reactions: BurningDesire

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Let's just go with Material Design! What would be wrong about it?

https://www.google.com/design/spec/material-design/introduction.html

And, don't put big boxes for the user info, let those for when pressing the menu button which opens the sidebar. The cleaner an app, the better. It feels bloated to have it all in the same screen, leave it for the sidebar, or a screen exclusively for the user info (just like the actual user pages GBATemp already has).

Last edited by Olmectron,

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Let's just go with Material Design! What would be wrong about it?

https://www.google.com/design/spec/material-design/introduction.html

And, don't put big boxes for the user info, let those for when pressing the menu button which opens the sidebar. The cleaner an app, the better. It feels bloated to have it all in the same screen, leave it for the sidebar, or a screen exclusively for the user info (just like the actual user pages GBATemp already has).
Hah, honest to god I was trying very hard not to say "Go Material Design" - Google are right there with the other giants revolutionising UX. I am a huge fan of the current direction of print journalism, to me it emphasises type in a way that Material doesn't, but I think overall we're feeling the same things about what a GBAtemp app "should" be like: Simple, elegant and content first.

Reactions: Olmectron

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hah, honest to god I was trying very hard not to say "Go Material Design" - Google are right there with the other giants revolutionising UX. I am a huge fan of the current direction of print journalism, to me it emphasises type in a way that Material doesn't, but I think overall we're feeling the same things about what a GBAtemp app "should" be like: Simple, elegant and content first.
Exactly.

No matter how an app could be, while it has the adjectives you said, it's alright. Simplicity is always better.

I'm just a big fan of Material Design, as it's great for apps. However, I looked at those sites you linked, and they're really neat, too. They fit very well on screen, and don't feel bloated, even with much info in the same screen.

Last edited by Olmectron,

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. I do actually have experience with xCode and Swift. I have a Developer ID and I'm able to sign apps and upload them to the app store. I could gladly work with GBAtemp to make this a thing.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DTApple @ DTApple: Did someone say llamas?