GBAChef: Your opinions on organic food.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by FAST6191, Nov 13, 2013.

1. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

A fairly simple one this time. Though it has been building for decades recent years have seen some try to promote organic food as superior.

I am also looking for oddities in how things are called. In some places organic just means you skip the last round of pesticides and other things end up being organic by default -- the margins on lamb are often small enough that you probably will not call the vet out for one.

Personally I find it edible but I have never had "oh this tastes so much nicer", anything like that is usually because someone prepared it better or fresher. This is not to say I do not have issues with some of the more intensive farming practices but in terms of the distinction between organic and not organic I have never seen the difference. Equally unlike some of the backlash against "artificial colours and flavourings" (give me good pure chemicals any day of the week rather than something you half siphoned off a bunch of crushed plants/animals with a bunch of interesting extras included as industrial chemistry is hard).
    As yields tend to be lower and prices tend to be higher (not unrelated concepts) and I can not taste the difference I usually avoid it, similarly if someone tells me "this is organic" my response is usually "and?"/"your point?".

2. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    Oh god, thanks. I thought that I was the only one that thought the name "organic" was kind of ridiculous. I think organic is a trend we have in western countries. Especially in countries like the USA where they put a lot of chemicals in some food. I must admit, first time I went to america, I was kind of shocked when I entered for the first time in a grocery shop. Pretty much no fresh food (vegetables, fruits, etc...) and I'll always remember that the apples were so shiny and so big, it looked that they were made of wax :D. Organic is certainly better for health but we can survive without. As for the taste, there are only a few things I prefer organic (mainly carrots and tomatoes ; organic tomatoes actually tastes like a fruit, not like the non organic ones that barely have any taste). But the main problem is that it's a trend, and like many trends, it's expensive.

3. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    I prefer organic or at least "natural" because I want to delay any possible health ramifications so I can live till they figure out how to upload my consciousness into a box.

4. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Technically a lot of fruit and vegetables are waxed, the goal of making them shiny probably being the main reason for doing it now refrigeration and transport is cheap and easy . I did find the idea having a mist/sprinkler system going over the fruit and veg quite odd though. Though I find it varies a bit depending upon where you are in the US (it is quite a big place) my biggest gripe there was the lack of a potato aisle.

"Organic is certainly better for health"
    Assuming you do not mean fruit and vegetables are a key part of a healthy diet how is organic better for you?

5. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    By that, I just mean that having less pesticides and other chemicals in our food can't be bad for our health. But again, we can and will survive without it.

6. GeekyGuy

GeekyGuy Professional loafer

Global Moderator
    Jun 21, 2007
    United States
    Even if it's labeled "organic" or GMO-free, fruits and veggies meant for retail sale are generally harvested early so they can stay on store shelves longer.

Try growing something in your own garden, with organic compost, no manure, add rock dust, and wait until it's truly ripe before picking (as the plant is kind of a natural refrigerator), and man, you WILL taste the difference, trust me.

Ritsuki likes this.
  7. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    True. I live in Switzerland, and since it's a small country, the farms aren't very far from the city. So a lot of farmers do fresh, organic fruits/vegetables that you can buy directly from them (which means no unripe products)

8. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    There are grape vines, several types of apples (cooking, eating and crab), several types of edible berries and a few trees that produce edible nuts in the garden and more on various bits of land, similar things for various friends and family and it is all about as close to organic as you can get. Other than getting some nice sauces and pies out of the deal it is nothing I could not get (albeit at considerable expense) from a supermarket.

9. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Organic food (or at least most of it) isn't really any healthier. In fact, some organic food can be actually worse (considering that they have to use older, worse insecticides and fertilizers). Organic Farming is pretty poor for the Earth, too, since it requires much, much more land than standard farming products.

You're paying extra for an inefficient product that offers no real benefits whatsoever. It's a ripoff, through and through.

I remember the Penn and Teller episode on the subject being pretty interesting.

Foxi4 likes this.
  10. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    Food is food. I'm not concerned with it being organic or any of that crap because we're all gonna die eventually anyway, may as well eat something tasty while we wait. If it's unhealthy, I just exercise more. People make such a big deal over food these days. I couldn't give a crap about haute cuisine or whatever, I just want something that's quick, simple and tasty. Gimme a meat feast pizza over these tiny portions of pretentious crap in your swanky restaurants any day.

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Weighing the pro's and con's of organic food and "normal" food is sort of like weighing the pro's and con's of wiping your behind with leaves and wiping your behind with toilet roll - one is natural, the other is processed and better. :tpi:

12. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er

Global Moderator
    Jun 8, 2008
    Australia
    I don't care for it much, though I am not against it. Just that my financial position would not allow me to indulge in stuff that costs 14909282894204890404 more than the non-organic counterpart. There was a store that sold solely organic stuff near my place a while back. I did get stuff from there from time to time when they had specials on certain fruits etc.

13. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    Well, it depends of the country. For example, in Switzerland (yes, again :D), the use of pesticides is highly controlled. The old and bad ones are forbidden, and for a product to be labeled organic, you have to respect a lot of rules, not only avoid pesticides. But again, it's so controlled that there's not much difference between organic and non organic products (except the high price and the taste for some of them)