GBAChef: What do you call being unable to cook?

Greymane

Lurking gbatemp pony
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would call that disabled, if it where not for the blind people i know that can cook.
Since following instructions or using boemboes and other ready to use mixes, should give you tasy if not edible food.

Or the person is extremely poor and has no knowledge about the edibility of wild plants or acces to a food bank.

Though i prefer thinking up recipies and cooking myself, also pickeling lots and lots of pickeling.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When I say "fancy", I meant the stuff that people would find at a super high-end restaurant, such as the drizzle lines along the empty area of the plate and making extravagant foods that the average person (especially me) will not eat.
That still seems overly broad but I think I get where you are heading. As for lines of sauce on food/decorating the plate it is the sort of thing you get here in a higher end pub lunch -- it costs basically nothing, takes 10 seconds to do and "the first bite is with the eyes" applies as long as your eyes work.

Equally I have been in super high end restaurants most places I have ever been, seen their kitchens/ingredients and eaten their food... most of the time you are just paying to see and be seen. The food tends to be nothing you wouldn't otherwise get in a decent restaurant, give or take nonsense like putting gold leaf (a completely inert substance that does nothing other than sparkle) on things. Hopefully it is well made (though that is... optional -- I have been in fancy private restaurants and looking at dropping what most have as rent for a week per head, this is before drinks, and walked away unhappy with the result) and usually carefully considered choice of menu, said menu might also start higher end rather than include lower range stuff (skip your flank steak pie and go straight for fillet/filet mignon sort of thing).

Of course now I have dozens of comedy sketches going around in my head
Terry Pratchett. Guards! Guards! said:
While other lords dined on larks stuffed with peacocks’ tongues, Lord Vetinari considered that a
glass of boiled water and half a slice of dry bread was an elegant sufficiency.
Or perhaps
The Life of Brian said:
BRIAN: Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar. Tuscany fried bats.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know everyone says it's laziness. I'd add one big thing: not wanting to waste/ruin food. If you have a fixed income and don't have a lot of food to spare, you don't have a lot of room to perfect your technique. So, you're left making the stuff you know how to make or risking turning a good amount of food into something mostly inedible that you have to stomach because you don't feel you can let it go to waste.

Personally, I still haven't gotten around to buying a flour sifter. That's my big stumbling block to making various from scratch baked goods, but then it's hard to justify the cost unless I make enough of them. So, really probably more an excuse/laziness.

Reactions: grey72

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not so much a case of "can/can't cook" as "can/can't follow directions"... admittedly, I'm personally able (via experience gained over time and common sense) to attempt most cookery without much need for instructions (either from a recipe book or via the directions printed on packaging). Occasionally things go wrong (you have the temp too high, or leave it in the oven too long, etc) but this is all part of learning how to cook - again, following directions.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This. This exactly. There are 3 times a day where most people eat something. And that means there are 3 times a day you can practice cooking.
Yeah, I agree... but you could also say "And that means there are 3 time a day you can practice calling for delivery or going to a restaurant."
TBH, I think "I can't cook" only means "I really don't like to cook, I am lazy, and I have no money problems."
Also, I believe the moment someone like this has money problems, he suddenly "learns how to cook" (but forgets as soon as he can avoid cooking again).

PS: Also, I "can't cook".

Reactions: felix.200

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i'm so disappointed that in a such interesting topic couldn't find any pics about things we cooked... or perhaps you guys can't cook at ALL?

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh noes! Peoples in the temps are so unskilled!
What am I the genius chef doing here between all these peasants?!

Those ignorants probably don't even recognize me!
They don't even ask me about the food I cook! (and I had all those pics I wanted to show)
Oh, well... Ok, tell us about your food.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh snap! I make carnitas! For a family reunion. My dad cooked for many years, now it’s my turn, so my cousins help me out.

Attachments

• 6FE57FDF-B9A2-4F92-B534-3C1B47C3B0FF.jpeg
    6FE57FDF-B9A2-4F92-B534-3C1B47C3B0FF.jpeg
    992.2 KB · Views: 65
  • AB786451-D94A-4831-B578-D9EC80A93EC3.jpeg
    AB786451-D94A-4831-B578-D9EC80A93EC3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 06F3E47A-9CC7-43EE-948A-62F7A68E9C52.jpeg
    06F3E47A-9CC7-43EE-948A-62F7A68E9C52.jpeg
    765.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 8E6F0C87-C6EF-4687-A217-E8048C2FBD13.jpeg
    8E6F0C87-C6EF-4687-A217-E8048C2FBD13.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 60
  • A8BDBDCE-661B-4B50-B5D2-81BE314482B8.jpeg
    A8BDBDCE-661B-4B50-B5D2-81BE314482B8.jpeg
    960.2 KB · Views: 63

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I know everyone says it's laziness. I'd add one big thing: not wanting to waste/ruin food. If you have a fixed income and don't have a lot of food to spare, you don't have a lot of room to perfect your technique. So, you're left making the stuff you know how to make or risking turning a good amount of food into something mostly inedible that you have to stomach because you don't feel you can let it go to waste.

Personally, I still haven't gotten around to buying a flour sifter. That's my big stumbling block to making various from scratch baked goods, but then it's hard to justify the cost unless I make enough of them. So, really probably more an excuse/laziness.
Not having enough food to spare in the United States? The place your from. There are more fat and obese people in the lower income brackets then in the upper.
I think they have plenty of food to spare. People of the past had no fast food restaurants and less food to spare and yet somehow they made it work.

Last edited by SG854,

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really feel like doing some Spanish potato tortilla with peppers.
And some tomato salad to go with it.

I hate cooking, but that is something I can't find (in good quality) here in Germany...
(though that will make my kitchen stink like frying oil)

Yeah... I hate cooking, but I really want some tortilla.
Hmmm... perhaps if I just go on holidays to Spain this weekend.

Reactions: Purple_Heart

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really feel like doing some Spanish potato tortilla with peppers.
And some tomato salad to go with it.

I hate cooking, but that is something I can't find (in good quality) here in Germany...
(though that will make my kitchen stink like frying oil)

Yeah... I hate cooking, but I really want some tortilla.
Hmmm... perhaps if I just go on holidays to Spain this weekend.
Think of the planet, you're moving more than 2000 KM on a plane and back just for a damn tortilla, some tapas, a paella, some cheap yet tasty 100 montaditos... actually a lot of damn great yet cheap food, people speaking the holy language Spanish, some very joyful people, a lot of fun, great weather... wait, fuck the planet!

Damn, I miss visiting Spain. Way to go off-topic.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Think of the planet, you're moving more than 2000 KM on a plane and back just for a damn tortilla, some tapas, a paella, some cheap yet tasty 100 montaditos... actually a lot of damn great yet cheap food, people speaking the holy language Spanish, some very joyful people, a lot of fun, great weather... wait, fuck the planet!

Damn, I miss visiting Spain. Way to go off-topic.
I'm glad I can eat all the Ceviche, Pozole, Horchata, Carne Asada, Burritos with Frijoles and Arroz I want.
And theres some really good Tai, Japanese and Chinese family restaurants were I live too. Some chow mein, ramen, and orange chicken. This stuff isn't hard to make either if I make instead of getting it from a restaurant.

Reactions: sarkwalvein
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My advice is the same principle that Gordon Ramsay has been trying to drill into young chefs for ages: Taste! Taste! TASTE! I kniw it's not always feasible, but using a disposable spoon to taste your food while cooking is the most valuable technique there is. That's how I make my chili, and it turns out exactly how I want it every time. It's a necessity for sauce, in my opinion, even when following a recipe. As you adjust the spices and other ingredients while tasting and you hit that sweet spot, you'll wonder why you always relied on others to cook for you. Now I've made my share of blunders and absolute failures (shit, looks like it's pizza night, kids), but being 100% self-taught, that's to be expected.

I find that watching a lot of informative cooking shows helps too. I highly recommend a series called Good Eats starring Alton Brown. Knowing the science behind how your tools and ingredients work together can improve your technique incredibly. Anyone can learn how to cook. It's a great activity to do with a significant other or your kids. In fact tonight, the girls and I are making chicken Cordon Bleu with a white wine sauce.

Oh also, I recommend this video for any aspiring home cooks:

Reactions: grey72 and VinsCool

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not having enough food to spare in the United States? The place your from. There are more fat and obese people in the lower income brackets then in the upper. I think they have plenty of food to spare.

Not everyone is in the same boat to be in the lower income bracket and be obese. I would admit though that plenty of people are obese enough to take the risk of effectively missing a meal. It's not something most people would seek, though. In the short term, maybe it'd even be cheaper to simply buy processed food rather than make it considering the risk.

People of the past had no fast food restaurants and less food to spare and yet somehow they made it work.

Uh, fast food restaurants are as old as the Egyptians/Romans. Relatively few people used them though because travel to/from any sort of restaurant was mostly limited to foot distance. Most people lived in rural areas and had large surplus of food at certain times (feast/famine), but of course there simply was no realistic alternative to cooking yourself or at least having a cook for every small n number of people.

Regardless, as someone who was taught to cook both at home and school, I don't really understand the mentality. So, that's a large part of why I don't understand it. I do think it's not simply "laziness" though.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Not everyone is in the same boat to be in the lower income bracket and be obese. I would admit though that plenty of people are obese enough to take the risk of effectively missing a meal. It's not something most people would seek, though. In the short term, maybe it'd even be cheaper to simply buy processed food rather than make it considering the risk.

Uh, fast food restaurants are as old as the Egyptians/Romans. Relatively few people used them though because travel to/from any sort of restaurant was mostly limited to foot distance. Most people lived in rural areas and had large surplus of food at certain times (feast/famine), but of course there simply was no realistic alternative to cooking yourself or at least having a cook for every small n number of people.

Regardless, as someone who was taught to cook both at home and school, I don't really understand the mentality. So, that's a large part of why I don't understand it. I do think it's not simply "laziness" though.
Its called laziness and making excuses for your laziness.
Cave men didn't have McDonalds.

Homecook is cheaper then eating fast food. Cooking your own food is not a high risk situation.
People, no matter income, spend no less than 1 hr and 30 min watching tv everyday, they have time to cook.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cave men didn't have McDonalds.

Cave men cooked or cave women cooked? What percentage of people actually cooked? The second out of the cave, did they open their first Starbucks? :)

Homecook is cheaper then eating fast food. Cooking your own food is not a high risk situation.

It's not a particularly high reward one either. I mean, it does great things to your self-worth, I guess?

People, no matter income, spend no less than 1 hr and 30 min watching tv everyday, they have time to cook.

Uh, I don't spend that long watching tv everyday. But, if they did, they'd have to give up watching tv to some extent to cook the food. Perhaps the biggest thing: the trade-off of one luxury for another. If you want to call that laziness, do I call it laziness every time you buy something premade by someone else?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.