GBAChef ripoff: Chemicals in our food, OMGWTFBBQ

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Veho, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Veho
    OP

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I call it the GBAChef "rippoff" because official GBAChef threads are FAST6191's area (although this one I suspect would be right up his alley), but I have a topic of debate I would present to the Temp that I feel is in the vein of the "GBAChef" series of threads, so here goes.

E.

You know it, you love/hate it; the infamous E, followed by three or more digits, denoting the presence of some obscure, scary industrial-application chemical that may or may not dissolve your guts or cause tumors, autism and OCD. Often accompanied by weird substances with hideously unpronouncable and even more hideously uncomprehensible names and more inscrutable effects on the aforementioned guts still. But are "chemicals" as bad as they sound, and what do they mean to you? Here's an interesting illustration of what the evil foreboding-sounding names (sometimes) mean:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seeing that list on a tin in a store might give you pause, may steer you towards a more "natural" brand, but they are the actual, natural ingredients of a piece of fruit, put into perspective.

So. How much do you know about chemicals in your food, how much do you care in the first place, and what does it all mean to you? Do you shy away from anything without a common folky name (because if it doesn't have a term for it reaching back into the middle ages, of course it's a new-fangled industrial invention made to increase profits at the expense of your liver or something), or do you blindly, happily embrace suspicious novelties without so much as testing them on a neighbours' dog first? Let me know.

Foxi4 likes this.
  2. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    My philosophy has always been, "If it tastes good ill eat a million of it".
    I don't pay attention to the Ingredients or anything unless someone points out something weird is in it.
    To which my usual reply is "Oh... I'm still gonna eat a million of them".

EZ-Megaman, Ericthegreat and Riyaz like this.
  3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    These pictures chime in very well with the global fear of E-type additives in foods. People assume that if the label has E-Something ingredients, it means that it's full of preservatives and god knows what kinds of dreadful poisons when in fact many of E-Substances are harmless or even beneficial. Here's a couple common, completely harmless ones:
    • E101 - Riboflavin, also known as Vitamin B2
    • E300 - Ascorbic acid, also known as Vitamin C
    • E901 - Beeswax
    • E150a - Plain Caramel
    • E161b - Lutein
    • E162 - Betanin, also known as Beetroot Red, a food colouring made out of beets
    • E290 - Carbon Dioxide, it's what makes your drinks fizz
    Next time before you get a heart attack looking at a label, double-check if the actual "chemicals" are in any way harmful to you - they may be, but they might as well be completely safe and natural.

4. pyromaniac123

pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Sep 24, 2011
  5. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    mmm... chemicals.... *DROOL*

6. Marth16

Marth16 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Gambia, The
    I couldn't care less what is in my food, if it tastes, I eat it.

UltraMew likes this.
  7. UltraMew

UltraMew GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Flying a blue hedgehog around
    fizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

8. tbgtbg

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    I've never seen those E### things on food labeling. Must be some EU (or wherever you are) thing.

9. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Welcome to the world of chemically enhanced foods. :mellow:

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    E-Codes are used in the EU and Switzerland, yes. I'm not sure what's the U.S equivalent, if there is one at all.

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I was thinking about doing a new GBAChef actually. I had a really good link once detailing the production of "natural flavourings/colourings" and the odd byproducts you got with that (the list is long and unpleasant).

I am not entirely sure where I am heading with this, most chemistry inclined types seem to know all this already (I can make and might well have made some crazy stuff with "natural" products over the years) and those that do not tend not to have the best relationship with logic.... which thinking about it is probably the point.

Ryukouki likes this.
  12. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    I mostly eat fruits and vegetables so no Es for me :D

...... Well i do eat a lots of sweets ..... now before buying them i'll check the Es and see if they are good or not.
    I'm always trying to eat good things.

13. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Chemicals aren't necessary bad. They are everywhere and we couldn't live without them.

TyBlood13 likes this.
  14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    In that case, you are eating plenty of E's since a lot of them occur naturally in fruit and veg... Unless you've never had Vitamin C, among others. ;O;

15. Veho
    OP

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Did you completely miss the point of the pictures in the first post? I have hired this emu to convey my facial expression.

Fruit and vegetables are chock-full of Es. Or, to put it another way, not all weird-sounding ingredients you see on food packaging are man-invented artificial monstrosities.

Also, dihydrogen monoxide.

Foxi4 likes this.
  16. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    All the hooplah over chemicals in our food is overblown nonsense, often stirred up by people just trying to sell people something else ("Don't eat that apple, it was produced efficiently! No, pay more for my apple. It's organic! That means good!"). It's all a bunch of malarkey if you ask me.

That's why I make sure to ingest all the chemicals I can. DDT or bust!

17. tbgtbg

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    I know I'd rather have DDT than malaria.

18. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I have a friend who's brother is always posting hippy propaganda on facebook. About eating veggies and fruits and avoiding processed meats and respecting the level of cruelty we treat our farm chickens etc. Oh and hes like vehemently against fracking and the like.

So I was over at his house the other day and whats he doing? Microwaving (another thing he has posted slander about) a TV dinner.

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    What is so had to get about do as I say, not as I do?

BortzANATOR likes this.
  20. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I just kinda looked at him and in my head all I could think was "Of all the things"

21. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's pretty hippie though - chances are that this TV dinner had about 2-6% actual meat in it... so it caused 94-98% less suffering than normal food. ;O;

BortzANATOR likes this.