Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gbachef-png.3459
Marmite_500g_450_tcm28-293449.jpg
A simple one this time.
Marmite, your opinions on the matter.
It is largely a UK thing though there is a related one in New Zealand, Vegemite tastes kind of similar though you would never confuse the two and I am told there are similar things like Vitam-R (never tried it) and Cenovis (tried it many years ago for some reason).

General opinion on it is sharply divisive, to the point the advertising for it even played on it. I struggle to describe the taste (other than I like it) as anything other than like what super sour things are for sour this is for salty fermented things and almost single handedly counters the UK food is bland joke. The main problem I see is people layering it on to the tune of two knife fulls, that will make most people gag (I would struggle to choke that down and I can eat it raw) and you really just want the tip of a knife full of it and spread very thinly. Similarly it rates pretty highly on the things we all get to drag through customs to give to ex pats.

As mentioned I love the stuff, doubly so for the extra strong/XO stuff. In just looking up prices I see there is such a thing as marmite chocolate.....

Marmite-XO-001.jpg

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I like Marmite, but I've taken to getting the Asda value alternative. It's bigger, cheaper, and it's not quite as strong so I actually prefer it.

When I was a kid, we used to make pizzas with Marmite instead of tomato puree on the base. It sounds bizarre but try it. It's actually not that bad at all.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can buy it on Amazon. It costs a bit more than it does in the UK but nothing too outrageous.

I didn't even think about that. It's an add-on item, $5.95 USD for a jar (which is only a buck or two more than a large jar of peanut butter here) if I order it with something else that's gonna get me free shipping. I'll have to throw a jar in the next time I order something from them.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh......

its the worst tasting thing ever.

you should add a poll. with do you like it. "No or NO! good god take that shit away from me"

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My dad uses it, though i've never tried it myself.
He's from England though so, that's probably the only reason hes ever tried the stuff. He seems to like it.

Kind of tempted to try some now, just to say I have.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I struggle to describe the taste (other than I like it) as anything other than like what super sour things are for sour this is for salty fermented things
"Add a tablespoon of salt to a pint of Guinness and boil it down into a thick syrup" gets you into the general vicinity of what it's like. Or to paraphrase Douglas Adams, "you'll get something that doesn't exactly taste like Marmite, but which those who know Marmite would find hauntingly familiar."

I love it on toast with butter, and sometimes I use it instead of salt in soups and stews.

And for anyone trying it for the first time: it's pure bitter salt. Use as much of it as you would salt (that is also bitter). Don't stick a spoonful of it in your face straight off the bat. You need to build up a tolerance first.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
And for anyone trying it for the first time: it's pure bitter salt. Use as much of it as you would salt (that is also bitter). Don't stick a spoonful of it in your face straight off the bat. You need to build up a tolerance first.

Have you tried fish sauce?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Have you tried fish sauce?
Yes. Another ingredient one should ease into.

But I meant more in the sense of amounts, not saltyness as such. People shouldn't approach it as jam, is what I was trying to say.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hey qwerty look at that you ain't the youngest here anymore