GBAChef: Last recipe you found and actually tried.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gbachef-png.3459

Several have filled in for us with unsanctioned GBAchef but today we are back.

As the title says what is the last recipe you saw in a book, a video, online or were told in person that you went ahead and tried? Was it any good? For the most part I normally only do cakes from such things (everything else I eyeball/use what I have instead) but you are free to pick any food you like.

In my case owing to my long walks ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbachef-wild-foods-you-collect-and-eat.547944/ ) I ended up with a lot of pears the other month. Rather than yet another crumble (the same walk also yields a lot of bullaces and wild plums, to say nothing of the 40kg+ of apples I also get from wandering each year) I thought I would find something else.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chocolate-pear-crisp

Made it. Was delicious. Made it again even when I went back and got some more pears from the same place. Did the booze version and no booze version, booze in this case was some courvoisier and the chocolate powder was a chillies and chocolate hot chocolate drink mix which is normally nothing to write home about but really worked here. As ever I went for brown sugar. Wasn't particularly crispy but I don't think I beat the egg whites for long enough. That said I think I prefer that to a macaroon which is what that effectively is on top otherwise. I don't know if my ramekins are large but the proportions there are odd and even only making 3 with the same volume/weight of topping I barely had enough (might be another reason for the lack of crisp).
Better as they come/with a few minutes to cool off from molten fruit but cold again a couple of days later was still delicious.

GCS

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
The last thing I tried was home-made waffles and they were pretty delicious with chocolate sauce, strawberries, and banana...:P
It's a generic waffle recipe that you can find online easily most probably, not linking it since it was Turkish. And even my cooking skills are enough for this one thankfully.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It's not quite the last one I found and tried (that was just for making bread rolls dough in my bread machine :P) but it's the last one I followed that I really liked.

https://carlsbadcravings.com/recipe/easy-one-pot-lasagna-soup/print/ < Lasagna "soup" (posted the print version so you don't have to go scrolling through a 30000 word essay >.>). I substituted the premade sauce with just some of my own, and then I did half ground beef half ground andouille sausage, made it mostly when I couldn't be bothered to make actual lasagna...and it ended up being quite good for a one-pot kind of thing.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How come I missed this?

I've been wanting to try a brownie recipe, but instead of baking it, it's made on a waffle iron.

Aside of desserts that I'd love to make instead if buying, there's really not much I'm not able to do.
Except pastas, I really don't like pastas, so I won't even bother with new recipes aside the ones I'm familiar with

was a chillies and chocolate
Hmm... quite an interesting choice there Tommy, as that's how Aztecs drank Chocolate originally.
Just for curiosity (and relevant) Cacao seeds has it's origins in Mexico's ground. It was expanded by Spaniards invaders as Aztecs used the Cacao seeds as money and as a super valuable gift.
Chocolate made by Aztecs was exactly like that, made with chillies, water and the cacao paste.

Funny though, I've been able to drink Chocolate + Chillies whenever I don't wash my blender properly.
If you liked your Hot Chocolate *giggles*, then, my Aztec ancestors are really proud of you.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't actually made them yet, but got what I needed for it yesterday. It looks super simple, delicious, and best of all, actually healthy:

Gonna try 'em out when my bananas ripen enough. Three friggin' healthy ingredients!

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't watched the video but if it that is oats and bananas then I started making them a few months back when I decided I was not up for banana bread or hummingbird cake (the thing that made banana bread pointless for me) and searched up a thing to do.

Assuming you like bananas then they are delicious. I do normally chuck a spoon of golden syrup, treacle or similar in there though. A generous amount of cinnamon or some crystallised ginger (powdered also works but is less fun) takes it to the next level too.

I should also note that the standard 25 minute times they suggest leave you with a chewy which is wonderful (you can go one further and make the dollops on the baking tray a bit bigger to get even more chewy middles), bit more time and a bit flatter gets you a bit crunchier which is better still for some.

They are also quite sticky (even more so with treacle and/or golden syrup) so a sheet of greaseproof paper (dab or three of oil underneath holds it down) is highly recommended.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's just oats, ripe bananas and raisins. And honestly, I'm a banana-holic :D They're my true fruit weakness.

He bakes these, and I guess the oats and ripe bananas are just able to come together like a flour mixture normally would. But I just love the idea of how simple they are to make and healthy at the same time.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Going for the radioactive approach to the world are we?

Yeah it takes a little bit of mixing compared to some things, even more so if the bananas are not properly ripe (mash them with a fork, should be easy), but will come together even with a wooden spoon doing the mixing and be able to be formed by hand or with a couple of spoons.

Not sure I would include raisins (so boring in biscuits unless they are Garibaldi biscuits aka squashed fly biscuits) in such a thing but if you are about those raisin oatmeal things (it is about as American as it gets) then I guess it would do. Now if we are talking rock buns that is a different matter.

Also as I mentioned hummingbird cake https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/hummingbird-cake/
If you like bananas in your cakes and whatnot then that is by far the best I have ever had. If you don't like bananas then pumpkin from a can, apple sauce, apple butter and fruit cocktail have all worked wonderfully. Between said substitutions it is my main cake that I make these days. I normally also go with brown sugar, and rather than crushed pineapple will opt for sliced if I want it a bit drier (though still way way way moister than most cakes thanks to the olive oil, have also mixed half olive and half more normal cooking oil when things were hard to come by earlier in the year). Chocolate chips work, as do various crushed nuts. I rarely do the top coat or brittle.

Reactions: GeekyGuy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans