GBAChef: Foods you do not like that people say "wha" about

Marth16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Fish, only fish sticks are okay.
Tomatoes, ketchup and tomato sauce is okay.
Asparagus, the same as tomatoes. Sadly my parents to eat it every weekend on asparagus season.
And I'm not so keen to eat bratwursts, I can eat them but I try to avoid them at barbecues.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mandarin oranges. They're just the right combination of bitter and sour to make me want to punch a small child.

you eat 'em when they're ORANGE and not green, right? lol
because every ripe mandarin orange i've ever had has been super sweet.

Reactions: Deleted User

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spagetti. I'm really not fond of any dish where the primary ingredient is noodle. I don't totally hate noodles, I'll eat a nice chicken noodle soup, or throw a small amount of noodles in with my mongolian at the grill, but too much noodle and I just start going bleh, so pasta and such where noodle is the whole point, right out.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
interesting. Does this extend to things like spring onions, garlic, elephant garlic, chives and other related types of plants? Does frying them, baking them, pickling them or otherwise preparing them change your disposition any?

I am ok with chives, tho i still do not like them, garlic is fine, except for the pre chopped one that comes in a jar, cannot stand that as its texture reminds me of onion. I like the flavor of fennel but it also is too "close" to onion. The way it is prepared does not matter.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really don't like coffee, but for some reason I decided to get a latte+poutine instead of my usual rootbeer+popcorn when I went to watch a movie today. I can now kinda tolerate the taste of coffee now (but I still wouldn't have it any darker than a latte), although I can now say with 100% confidence that coffee is terrible with poutine.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Celery. Good goddamn this stuff is nasty. It tastes bitter and gross. Even if you try to "sneak" it in my food because you don't think I'll notice, screw you. I will. I don't know how much celery it takes for me to notice it's in there, but I'm pretty sure it's in the"parts per million" territory. Don't even get me started on what it's like raw. Chewy and stringy and gets stuck in your teeth. Oh, you put peanut butter on it to make it edible? Why don't you scarf down a dog turd covered in nutella while you're at it?

Potato salad/cole slaw: Veggies and potatoes bathed in mayo? Nope. I'd rather gnaw on a week-old beached whale, thanks.

Baked beans: Legumes baked in a sickly sweet sauce until they're rock hard pebbles like they started out? What's not to love?

Ham with cloves poked into the skin: What is wrong with you people? Cloves? Are you freaking serious? Get that junk away from me. Holiday spirit my ass, you just ruined Christmas dinner.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
This is among the 60%
Best picture of it that I could find.
IMG_7993.jpg
Celery. Good goddamn this stuff is nasty. It tastes bitter and gross. Even if you try to "sneak" it in my food because you don't think I'll notice, screw you. I will. I don't know how much celery it takes for me to notice it's in there, but I'm pretty sure it's in the"parts per million" territory. Don't even get me started on what it's like raw. Chewy and stringy and gets stuck in your teeth. Oh, you put peanut butter on it to make it edible? Why don't you scarf down a dog turd covered in nutella while you're at it?
It gives a nice "sauce" when paired with tomatoes though.

Potato salad/cole slaw: Veggies and potatoes bathed in mayo? Nope. I'd rather gnaw on a week-old beached whale, thanks.
Why is it so bad? There's even a fruit version and I found it to be OK at least.

Ham with cloves poked into the skin: What is wrong with you people? Cloves? Are you freaking serious? Get that junk away from me. Holiday spirit my ass, you just ruined Christmas dinner.

LOL

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Baked beans: Legumes baked in a sickly sweet sauce until they're rock hard pebbles like they started out? What's not to love?
I don't know how many hours (or days) you'd have to bake beans for them to dry out that much :unsure:

Reactions: Sicklyboy

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot stand processed cheese like Velveeta and the cheese you get with pretzels and nachos.

That is what is known in the rest of the world as American cheese* (though such a thing is technically different to what America knows as American cheese) and anybody that raises an eyebrow at your not liking it.... well you have just found a quick and easy way to determine someone that has an opinion on food that should not be trusted.

*much like American comics there are some that are very nice cheeses that come from America. However, much like comics, damned if I would suggest someone go in cold and sample various things in an attempt to find something good.

Celery seems to be a popular one. Though I have never found a great use for the stuff and its relative expense to mass it provides means I never seek it I can not really see it being as repulsive as some say.
On the parts per million though... look at bags of nachos and lots of other similar things. You would be surprised how often celery powder is used.

On baked beans. In the UK they are tomato sauce and tomato sauce with something in it (some chilli, BBQ, Branston...), the same but with sub hot dog sausages or worse than that the low salt variety. However they were a very wide variety when I was stateside, some of which were very nice indeed.

Now beans I dislike..... if someone tries to feed me butter beans it is likely to come to blows.

Potato salad and coleslaw. Love the stuff, homemade is typically better though. Lidl do a version with a yoghurt dressing though and I quite like that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jelly, Cinnamon Buns, Bubble gum, Any soda besides pepsi coke and sprite, Holiday Bun, etc.

Door is that way ->

By jelly I assume you mean what I would call jam (jelly around here is jello in American). I so very rarely had a good one when I was stateside, if you think you should like the idea then perhaps consider looking for some "English style" or "Canadian style" ones as they seemed to be the best bet for me. That said I often make my own these days and that is better still.

On fizzy drinks... though old man stomach means I tend to avoid them I am sitting here trying to think if there are any I truly dislike. Pepsi/coke unless it is mixed with orange juice (non alcoholic muddy puddle) I will tend to avoid though, second only to cream soda really. I am sure someone has probably made a tomato one but such a thing has yet to cross my path.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum