OP
Trophies
Website
raphaelddl.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Greetings!

Before anyone say or stick that image of R4 don't run GBA games, listen (read lol) what my question is. Maybe could be relevant, maybe not.

So, i KNOW R4 can't run GBA games because it got no Ram memory to load the GBA. In most of Slot-2 solutions have RAM so they can run.

But GBA_ExpLoader seems to provide some support to Slot-1 ones, as stated in the README:

====== GBA ExpLoader V0.51 ======
With this program, you can run GBA games in SLOT1 flash cards through SLOT2 expansion pack.

If your SLOT1 flash card supports soft reset, you can use it as "Rumble Pak" or "Memory Expansion Pak".

Supported SLOT2 expansion pack is "3in1 Expansion Pack", "EZ4 lite-delux" and "EWIN EXPANSION PAK(2in1)".
"NOR mode" and "Rumble Pak" function is enabled only in "3in1 Expansion Pack".

The question i want to make is:
I've bought Nintendo DS Browser JUST because of the Nintendo DS Memory Expansion Pack.
In the GBAexp's readme it does not state that it supports the Memory Expansion Pack but, since it works (partially) like those mentioned above (as RAM provider), have any patch or way to make GBAexp use the Memory Expansion Pack to load the GBA game's banks?

I've tried use GBAexp already but it do not detect the Memory Exp. Pack.
Always say 'SLOT 2 expansion pack not found . Please redo from start'. (And i know Pack works cause Browser and NeoDS recognizes the Pack).
hate2.gif

I've tried use search but 'gba r4' always find just those "can r4 run gba?1!?"
Thank you very much for the info!

Regards,
Raphael DDL
yaynds.gif

freakazaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
if you read the readme of exploader before buying the official nintendo browser, you could've seen that it isn't supported by exploader which means "it won't work"

RaphaelDDL

OP
Trophies
Website
raphaelddl.com
XP
Country
Brazil
sylux92 said:
Nintendo specially made the RAM pack so it cannot run GBA games.

Oh damn. That's lame
frown.gif

hate2.gif
yaynds.gif

But well, if NeoDS and other emulators can make use of the RAM Pack to help load the NG/SNES/etc games, that could not be used the same way for GBA?

I was thinking now - after i finished writing the above question:
I've remembered i read here that when DS runs GBA, it changes to a "GBA mode" that changes all the way it handle things. That might be an answer why can't use RAM like NEoDS and others use, right?
unsure.gif

And thank you for the quick answer.
I appreciate it.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Official RAM pak was designed specifically to prevent it from being used this way. Basically, the GBA rom data has to start at a certain address in order for the GBA (or DS in GBA mode) to run it, and the RAM pak cannot be set to that address.

The RAM pak has no non-volatile memory for storing save data and only 8MB of RAM, so it would be a pretty crappy GBA expansion pack even if it did work.

RaphaelDDL

OP
Trophies
Website
raphaelddl.com
XP
Country
Brazil
freakazaa said:
if you read the readme of exploader before buying the official nintendo browser, you could've seen that it isn't supported by exploader which means "it won't work"
In fact, i though would work in the same way.

But, i dont regret, i bought an Original Browser for 1/2 price
smile.gif

QUOTE(Destructobot @ Jul 28 2008, 01:20 AM) The Official RAM pak was designed specifically to prevent it from being used this way. Basically, the GBA rom data has to start at a certain address in order for the GBA (or DS in GBA mode) to run it, and the RAM pak cannot be set to that address.

The RAM pak has no non-volatile memory for storing save data and only 8MB of RAM, so it would be a pretty crappy GBA expansion pack even if it did work.
I understood now.

Thank you very much for you explanation. Was very clear.

I think i'll stay with my PokemonPearl and FFTA2 since Emerald and FFTA can't be loaded
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: just found out theres osu for nintendo ds