GBA_Backup_Tool

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by playallday, Jun 24, 2008.

Jun 24, 2008

GBA_Backup_Tool by playallday at 8:24 PM (3,081 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. playallday
    OP

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Sorry if this needs to be in GBA but its about DS too.

I have a DS Lite, GnM and a lot of GBA games so a few things.

1. Using GBA_Backup_Tool I can backup my games (as roms)
    2. Can I backup my save files(most of them are Pokemon games)?
    3. Can I download save files and add them to the game?
    4. I think I can say this... Can you tell me where to get a good Fire Red save file?
    5. Whats the cheapest way to run GBA roms(I will not buy online)?

Thanks!

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    1: With a real flashcart, yes. With a GnM, maybe. You'll need to DLDI patch the backup tool so that it can access the filesystem on the memory card.

2 & 3: Depends on the save type the game uses, but I think it works for most games, including Pokemon. The answer for #1 appies here as well.

4: Gamefaqs. Most saves you download will need to be converted, but that's not very hard. VBA can convert .sps files (just import the file as a Gameshark snapshot). Other formats can also be converted, but I don't remember offhand exactly how to do it. (I think I've converted nearly every format to a raw save by hand with a hex editor, it's pretty easy)

5: An emulator running on your computer. If you want to run the games on the actual system you will need to buy the appropriate hardware (M3 Perfect, EZ-Flash IV, etc.), and you may have a hard time finding it locally.

3. playallday
    OP

Canada
    1. Works. (So far 100% of homebrew works for me on my GnM v1)
    4. Do I need the Game on my PC to convert 1st?
    5. Can't I use GBA_ExpLoader and use the Nintendo Web thing?

4. Destructobot

United States
    4: To convert an sps save with VBA, yes (you load the game then import the snapshot, after that it should spit out the .sav file automatically. export a battery file if it doesn't). To convert a save manually you only need a hex editor and the save you want to convert (a raw save from the same game is also very helpful).

5: No. The browser expansion's memory cannot be mapped to the correct address for running GBA software. It also lacks any persistant memory for storing saves. If you manage to get over your aversion to buying onling you can get a standalone GBA flashcart for about $22 USD from dealextreme.com. You can get an expansion pack that works with GBA ExpLoader for about $19.

5. playallday
    OP

Canada
    4. Got it.
    5. Will the M3 work?

6. Destructobot

United States
    Which M3?

The M3 Perfect is a standalone flashcart that has good GBA support. It also has a clock for the few games that use it (Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald, Megaman Battle Network, maybe a few others). Unfortunately, the M3 Perfect Lite has been out of stock everywhere for a while now, and it's expensive if you can find one. The M3 Perfect MiniSD is still available, but it is the size of a GBA cart so it won't fit flush with a DS Lite.

The M3 Real GBA Expansion works with GBA ExpLoader, so you can use it with any slot 1 cart that can run that app. GBA ExpLoader does not currently support 1024 mbit saves on this cart, so it is not currently a good choice for the Pokemon games unless you get an M3 Real to go with it (this may change at any time though). It does not have a clock. It comes in a DS Lite sized shell, but a GBA sized shell is available if you have an original DS. You cannot use it in a GBA.

The M3 Professional does not work for GBA games. (someone will probably come along and say it can run small GBA games, but I've never seen any evidence that this is true)