Apr 10, 2008

GBA Trimmer by CheatingSoi at 1:18 AM (3,205 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. CheatingSoi
    OP

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    Is there a safe ROM trimmer for the GBA? I don't want anything that messes up my files.

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    No, there isn't. GBATA and BatchGBA are the safest I know of, but they can still cause problems with some roms. In my experience, GBA roms are far more likely to have problems or not run after trimming than DS roms.

You don't save nearly as much space trimming GBA roms as you do with DS roms, so I don't even bother.

3. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Every game I've trimmed worked fine for me, but perhaps that's because I'm still using a Flash2Advance Ultra cart (and play very few commercial games).

If you're into Puzzle League however, note that you can actually chop off all the data past the 2.2 MB mark (a huge block of zeros marks the location when viewed in a hex editor) from "2261 - 2 in 1 - Dr. Mario and Puzzle League" and still have a fully functioning Puzzle League game. Dr. Mario will be borked, but that's not as important. It's nearly a 75% reduction in size, which I find pretty cool.

4. CheatingSoi
    OP

United States
    Yeah I noticed it barley saves any space so it wouldnt really be worth it if it could have problems. I had 300 or 400mb of GBA and only trimmed of like 20mb.

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    My guess is that since the type of ROM used in the GBA was so expensive, if a developer had to upgrade the cart capacity they felt they needed to use up as much as possible.

6. CheatingSoi
    OP

United States
    or the files just arnt that big in the first place.

7. BrianTokyo

Member BrianTokyo NDSTokyoTrim Dev.

Japan
    You could try my trimmer NDSTokyoTrim, last version is ( I think ) safer than GBATA and BatchGBA