Hacking GBA Tactics Ogre on DSTwo with TempGBA stutters, wonky controls

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have a DSTwo, and playing Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis, the sound stutters a bunch, there's a bit of a video stutter occasionally, and the controls are sometimes too sensitive and other times not sensitive enough to the point of it being not fun to play.

It's not the ROM dump because it works fine on my EZFlash IV, and it's not the SD card, which is a class 10 SanDisk that work flawlessly with lots of other games.

The TempGBA wiki compatibility list says this game works, is listed as green, with no notes.

Any ideas how I can fix this problem?

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I wonder if I'm the only one with this problem.

But maybe I'm just the only one who even plays this game. :(

Codename PUMA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it something noticeable at the beginning of the game? I'm willing to try it but don't want to play ten hours to get to the problem, hah.

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah, I totally understand! And it's not noticeable when you start the game unfortunately. It's noticeable when you're actually playing. When you're selecting where to move, for example, the cursor either gets momentarily stuck or goes shooting way past where you're trying to get it to go.

Do you have a saved game already? You could load that up and go into training or something if you do. If not, well, it's a really good game! ;) You should try it!

Codename PUMA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If it's just one battle I have to enter I might try it. I actually played most of Tactics Ogre SNES on the flashcard this year (I'm planning to update the CATSFC list) and have the PSP remake so I'll definitely play the GBA one in full one day.

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Great, thanks!

I just finished my first run through of the SNES Tactics Ogre on the card myself! That's why I'm playing this one again! It's somewhat different -- there's team turns as opposed to weight, and there are no stat cards to get in battle. The best addition to the game is an emblem system for accomplishing certain things like dodging three attacks in a row.

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm trying it now on the DSGBA emulator that originally was made for (by?) the DSTwo team before TempGBA.

There are no control issues, but other, different problems. It seems to run a tad slow, but that could be my imagination. There's a bit of a stutter as well. The weirdest and most unexpected problem, though, is that the music seems to be composed of two separate streams, and they aren't synced, making the music bizarre and unpleasant.

So which problems are worst? So far the TempGBA problems, at least for me.

Pity!!

sieroi

Trophies
XP
Country
Whoa, what's this? A Japanese variant on TempGBA?

Yeah. It's got slightly better compatibility-a few problematic games that don't work on the main TempGBA branch work fine with it. There's a translated compatibility list a page or two back in the main TempGBA thread- notable improvements are Advance Wars and Super Monkey Ball Jr, both of which play fine now.

I assume it's a set of backports from the PSP version.

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah. It's got slightly better compatibility-a few problematic games that don't work on the main TempGBA branch work fine with it. There's a translated compatibility list a page or two back in the main TempGBA thread- notable improvements are Advance Wars and Super Monkey Ball Jr, both of which play fine now.

I assume it's a set of backports from the PSP version.

Which of the two files is the one to get? The first one says something about file description, and the second one says original file name.

Have you used it?

Edit: Okay, I tried it. I didn't really notice much difference in performance, and after about two minutes of playing it froze up! :(

Last edited by regnad,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol