GBA SP with EZ Flash IV: Console's battery not lasting too long.

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Fire_Slasher, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Fire_Slasher
    OP

Fire_Slasher GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Brazil
    Hi everyone, so I have a GBA SP 101 that I bought used but EZ Flash IV is new, and I have a Dragon DS 850 mah battery (also new) on it but the thing doesn't last more than 4 hours of playtime. Also the 600 MaH battery that came with it didn't last more than 2 hours!

Now I bought another DS 850 MaH battery and it lasts almost 10 hours but it's bulky so I have to use eletrical tape on the back cover to hold the edges down.

Is it normal or could my unit be defective? Any help is appreciated.

2. Chelsea_Fantasy

Chelsea_Fantasy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 25, 2014
    Cuba
    it's not normal, but it's not so bad too
    my old gba's battery lasts from 2:30 to 3:00

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I have not tested the new ones but a few years back I did some tests with things.
    https://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?p=62892#p62892

That said what is it like with legit games? It sounds like you might have some third party batteries and those things tend to rather over exaggerate their capacity.

4. Fire_Slasher
    OP

Feb 6, 2015
    Brazil

Hmm I have not yet tested with a legit cart yet, I have Motocross Maniacs so I will prob conduct a test with it to see. Also I took a quick look at your tests, very interesting but I'm guessing they're only for the DS?

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    They were but I stuck an EZ4 in there at one point to get an idea of what went. I might have to cook up a new test at some point. Should have a willing victim around here I could use.

6. Fire_Slasher
    OP

Feb 6, 2015
    Brazil
    Do lemme know if you do, I would love to see the results.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You using an official Nintendo one? I can't find those anymore in my country, kinda sucks....

7. Dnilo

Dnilo Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mexico
    Not to brag, but I recently built a Backlit AGB that I use with an EZflash IV and other gameboy games and the batteries last forever, I'm almost done with Wario Land 3 and just swapped for another pair of them. I'm using 6 to 8 year old (with good care) Energizer rechargeable batteries with 2300mAh (2xAA in case you don't remember the AGB).

So, my suggestion is to build one for yourself and end with the trouble, plus it's a better form factor.

Talking about the EZflash IV, in my experience it used to drain the AGS-101 faster than regular carts, more or less like this:

Regular cart = 8-10 hrs
    EZflash using rom in NOR = 6-8 hrs
    EZflash normal rom load = 5-7 hrs

More or less.

I'll update with this new Backlit AGB as soon as I put charged batteries on it, but in the meantime it's way past 10 hrs.

8. Fire_Slasher
    OP

Feb 6, 2015
    Brazil
    That's interesting, so it seems the ezflash tends to drain more power from the 101 indeed. As for building one myself I sadly don't got the time now between work and studies but thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated.

Dnilo likes this.
  9. Boured

Boured The most perverted furry

GBAtemp Patron
    Boured is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 25, 2015
    United States
    Wherever I log in at ^w^
    Huh, I didn't know the EZ-Flash drained the system more. No wonder it dies so fast when I use it.

Fire_Slasher likes this.
  10. Drud1995

Drud1995 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    United States
    Magicant
    Solution:
    Tape one of those external battery packs to the bottom of the system and get a USB cable to plug into the charge port of the SP.