Hardware GBA SP Hardware Issue

Aidan25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My black GBA SP of about 12 years died on me about 4-5 years ago or so. I bought a new lithium-ion battery that said it was rechargeable but I have no idea how to do that (I bought it off eBay). Funnily enough, it actually worked with this new battery until it ran out. Every time I try to charge it, the orange light lights up for 1 and a half seconds and then turns off. I do have a DS and an original GBA that work fine but I'd love to use this once again. Maybe it is time to just accept that it is gone and to probably buy a new one or just use what I have but is there a way to fix this?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Aidan25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What do you have in the way of electronics repair options there? We see something on the DS/DS lite often enough and it usually turns out to be a fuse, indeed your original battery might still have been OK (5 years of no charge is rarely good for these things). Anyway reading around https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/63096/Nintendo+Gameboy+Advance+SP+Not+Charging#answer63098 seems to show a similar fuse that could pop on the SP.
I don't have any money at the moment but probably by about March-April next year I'll be able to consider options. I'm sure the battery is still fine, it just can't be charged because of the fuse inside the actual GBA SP I believe. I'll take a look at that thread but I'm not familiar with the GBA SP's internal hardware as I've never researched anything about it or actually taken it apart before. I'll check out that link though, thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey