Hardware GBA SP, frontlit or backlit?

Quark^2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking for a decent GBA SP to play my GBA games since I'll be getting a DSi too soon (old GBA = dead).

I'm not sure which GBA SP I should get: the old frontlit or newer backlit version. The newer backlit version is much harder to get, so I'm tempted to buy a cheaper frontlit SP.
What's the quality of the frontlit version, can you play in the dark etc?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got myself an SP as well, and I decided that as long as I was getting an entirely new system, I'd go for the backlit version. I really haven't used the frontlit version before, so I can't compare the two, but the backlit version is god-like. Outperforms my DS Phat even in low-backlight mode. I'm *really* glad I spent the extra time and money on the better system.

Search around Ebay for a bit. It took me over 2 weeks, but I managed to get mine for $30 plus shipping. Graphite was too hard to find at a cheap price, so I settled on Pearl Blue.

I imagine you can easily play the frontlit version in the dark at the very least though.

Quark^2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm checking ebay and local auction sites, but it's hard to find a decent affordable one.

Apparently there are more backlit versions that just the graphite, pearl blue and pearl pink. However, finding out whether an SP is old (AGS-001) or new (AGS-101) is hard.. Especially since reaching sellers takes long often.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, really? I checked multiple sites and the only thing I ever found was that those three were the only backlit versions available. Where did you get that information?

SmileyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both the front and backlit SPs, and IMO, the backlit is amazing compared with the front lit. There is a bit of shadowing on the front lit while the backlit is crystal clear. It really is a big difference.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The back lit one is crisp and clear under normal indoor conditions, but is useless out in the daylight. The front lit one tends to look all washed out under normal indoor conditions, but can be played outdoors without the light. So, it depends on how you plan to use it. I've owned both types. Personally, I prefer the back lit one as I don't mess with my game systems outdoors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)