GBA SP AGS-101: Buttons are "initially" stuck?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by xwatchmanx, Dec 3, 2012.

Dec 3, 2012
  1. xwatchmanx
    OP

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    So, I ordered a graphite backlit GBA SP off Amazon and it arrived today. It's in rather great condition, except for one thing I've noticed... the A, B, Start, Select, and Light buttons all feel "stuck" the first time I use the system for a play session. That is, I have to push on them a bit hard before they seem to "snap" and go down. After doing this once or twice per button, it works fine. However, after not pressing a button for an extended amount of time, it happens again. Any idea what's up? I don't have this problem with my pearl backlit SP, and comparing the buttons on the two, they both look the same except for the color, so I don't think that the ones on this system are 3rd party replacements or anything. Any idea what I can do to fix this, hopefully without having to crack open the system?

2. Latiken

Member Latiken GBATemp's Epic Fusion

United States
    You could try blowing hard in them? Maybe there's some dust in there (the same thing happened to my DSLite's dpad. I fixed it by wetting a q tip and applying in the cracks then I blew hard). Maybe this will work too.

3. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    I'll try it out. I know Nintendo's site suggests using a clean toothbrush as well...

4. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    Just wondering, does it have the sticker on the back of the unit with the model, serial number and other nintendo information?

Almost every new/as new AGS-101 I see for sale online doesn't have the sticker, and seem to be either a K1SP or other clone. The sellers love to insist they are genuine with just a new case but I really doubt them.

5. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    NO. No, no, no! Blowing with your mouth causes moisture to build up on the connectors and may lead to corrosion and other connector issues later on! I know that's everyone's first somewhat instinctive move, but you're not supposed to do that on connectors, actually.

If the buttons are initially stuck, they are indeed a bit dirty, but should be cleaned with appropriate gear - compressed air and/or high-volume spirit with no addditives.

Worst-case scenario, he can always open the Game Boy and have a look inside - perhaps the rubber side of the buttons is slowly failing.

Alternatively, he can just use the Game Boy as it is, hoping that simple "wear and tear" will help here - sometimes buttons act this way when they weren't used in a long time and the rubber underneath has to return to its original "springy-ness".

xwatchmanx likes this.
  6. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    It's certainly not "like-new"... It has a fair amount of tiny scratches on the outside on the front, a small chip on one of the triggers, and someone's name in really faded magic marker on the back. But aside from that, it's in decent condition.

It does surprisingly have all the serial numbers, stickers, etc that indicate it is indeed an official AGS-101. It's even the charcoal gray color, which is one of the colors the AGS-101 came in. It's identical to my pearl blue AGS-101 (aside from the color and condition) and has played every game I've thrown at it without issue, so I'm pretty sure it's real. If not, it's a pretty damn good fake.
    Thanks for the heads up. I knew that blowing was bad for cartridges, but I totally forgot that applies to buttons as well. :P

Anyway, after some close inspection (mostly just with my hands, and a light), it does look like there's some mostly dried, sticky residue on the part of the buttons that rests beneath the surface. So it indeed may just need cleaning. The local Packard's does repairs for legacy game systems, and I'm good friends with the people who work there, so I might just take it to them and see what they can do. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

7. wiggatron

Newcomer wiggatron Advanced Member

United States
    I doubt it's dirt. More likely its juice or pop that was spilled on it. I've seen it a million times. Taking it apart and giving the plastic parts a good scrub is the only 'real' solution to the problem.

xwatchmanx likes this.