GBA save file transfer to GBA cart via R4 cart & Gen 1 DS

gentleman_racing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HI, first-time post and not very computer literate so please bare with me.

I am looking to use my Gen 1 DS and an R4 cart with an SD card for the following. I want to download the save data from my genuine Megaman Battle Network Game that has 100% game completion (Cart #1) to the R4 DS cart, then I want to plug my other genuine Megaman Battle Network Game that has 0% game completion (Cart #2) into the GBA slot on the DS and load the save data of Cart #1 onto Cart #2. I have read you can use the "GBA Backup Tool" downloaded onto the R4 cart to; extract the save data or extract the rom data or even both at the same time or you can restore the save data onto the rom. With that said can I extract just the saved data from the Genuine game and use the restore feature to write the save data from Cart #1 onto Cart #2?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
HI, first-time post and not very computer literate so please bare with me.

I am looking to use my Gen 1 DS and an R4 cart with an SD card for the following. I want to download the save data from my genuine Megaman Battle Network Game that has 100% game completion (Cart #1) to the R4 DS cart, then I want to plug my other genuine Megaman Battle Network Game that has 0% game completion (Cart #2) into the GBA slot on the DS and load the save data of Cart #1 onto Cart #2. I have read you can use the "GBA Backup Tool" downloaded onto the R4 cart to; extract the save data or extract the rom data or even both at the same time or you can restore the save data onto the rom. With that said can I extract just the saved data from the Genuine game and use the restore feature to write the save data from Cart #1 onto Cart #2?
Sure, it can both backup and restore just fine.

Reactions: DanTheManMS

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
sweet, thank you.

now the tricky part, do you know of anyone that sells the R4 DS cart with "GBA Backup Tool" pre-loaded onto it. This way I could plug and play out the box
I doubt you'll find anyone. But setting up a DS flashcart is very easy. You just need the latest kernel from the manufacturer's website (usually printed on the cart) extracted onto the root of the MicroSD card along with any games or homebrew you want to run (in .nds format) which you can put anywhere on the card.
There are not that many DS flashcarts still available nowadays, the good ones are out of production, just buy the cheapest you can find, anything is fine probably. Just make sure their website still exists and you can download the kernel. If you have a DSi or 3DS you want to be able to use the flashcart on to play games you should also update the firmware of the card which is usually a separate download from the kernel, usually a .nds file you place onto the card and run like you would any other game or homebrew, which updates the part that allows the card to trick a DSi or 3DS into thinking it's a legitimate game (not needed on the DS), on a hacked DSi or 3DS there are other ways to bypass the checks and allow older DS flashcarts to still work though.

Reactions: DanTheManMS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users