GBA Rom Renamer for OSX?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Mactaetus, Aug 17, 2006.

Aug 17, 2006

GBA Rom Renamer for OSX? by Mactaetus at 7:46 PM (1,672 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Mactaetus
    OP

Newcomer Mactaetus Member

Hi guys

I just wanted to know if there's a possibility of renaming roms with a dat file on a Macintosh.
    Same goes for NDS roms.

anyone any idea?

thanks in advance

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I should imagine most of the renamers would work fine under emulation/interpreter software but that is not really the point.

There are a few active rom namers/organiser type software but as it is not really my area I have no idea about GBA/DS support (they should all use reasonably human readable dats so you may be able to convert one with relative ease).
    Links in no specific order:
    http://www.keithware.com/romorganizer.html
    http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
    http://emulaunch.com/faq/

3. Mactaetus
    OP

well I'm looking for some Mac OSX renamers since it's a pain in the ass with the file system...

any ideas please?

4. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Short answer: No, there isn't any.

The closest you'd come is "Rom Organizer 1.2.1" by Richard Bannister (www.bannister.org) which renames (some) GBA but not NDS. I've been looking for a while with no luck. I don't know how you'd be able to use applescript or automator to cobble something together, but with a dat file and a way to peek into the roms, maybe something's possible there. I continue to search, if I turn up anything, I'll post the results.

I'd be happy to be wrong about this.

5. Mactaetus
    OP

mthrnite:

you're the one I expected a reply from ;-)
    how are you?

Thanks for the answer. I still haven't gotten into applescript properly to be able to use it. What I do is use rename4mac. Just kill all the underscores and use capital letters on every new word.

that works for me with the zip files (so I have xxxx - Romname (Region).zip)

if you find something, let me know.

What I did is ran parallels, ran nintenren and copied all roms into the shared folder for parallels, renamed them, then copied them all back.

problem with this: the dat file from nintenren isn't the most up to date. (13 roms missing) anyone got some updated dat files?

6. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    I'm good, TFA!

I wish I had the luxury of running parallels. I've got a few months nickel saving to do before I become one with the mighty Mac Pro. Hopefully the Intel switch will pull a few more shade-tree programmers over to the mac side. Wouldn't I love to be using a mac version of U-Disk Manager! Thanks for pointing the way to Nintenren, I'll be trying that out tonight. I will keep searching for a mac solution though. VersionTracker is my friend!

7. Phrostay

Newcomer Phrostay Advanced Member

Australia
    You can do the renaming very quickly and easily in Automator if you have OS-X Tiger like you mentioned. Running parallels or VPC7 (For PowerPC) is your best bet for running windows software, otherwise just use bootcamp and boot into windows if you have an intelmac lol.