domiankrey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi there,l get one

since I discovered the possibility of a backlight mod for the regulare GBA I will get one and mod it, because I like the ergonomics much more over the one of the GBA SP.

Now I am not a big fan of using battery and therefore I would like to use a rechargeable battery pack since it is much more comfortable. My cousin had a clear GBA and a rechargeable battery pack which could be loaded with a cable while still beeing in the GBA, because it came with a battery cover which had an adapter for the loading cable.

I want to get such one too. Unfortunately I only can find purple and clear ones on the internet but I would need a black one. Do you know where black ones are available or are there any tutorials to build such a mod myself?

madeinair

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Usually, the rechargeable battery packs have a screw that will remove the front (purple/clear) cover, you can then replace that cover with your own cover (black) and drill a hole for the power connector to go in.
I've done this in the past :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know we are replying to an old thread but I do have to say if you can find one of those old GBA packs in this day and age I would be surprised if it works well. I could be wrong and they could still be pumping them out but it would be... maybe not a first but still fingers on one hand.

1.jpg

Things like the above exist though and might represent a better option for you.

Cactuar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know we are replying to an old thread but I do have to say if you can find one of those old GBA packs in this day and age I would be surprised if it works well. I could be wrong and they could still be pumping them out but it would be... maybe not a first but still fingers on one hand.

1.jpg

Things like the above exist though and might represent a better option for you.

Oh I like this. Do you have them and if so what kind of play-time do you get when used in your GBA?

l13f4k3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
wii remote battery packs works just good ;) there is also a Japanese accessory (agb-004) that is exactly what you are looking for.
moCp59pci329u-HIBZJtQFA.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had a few of those. Nowadays (some 5 years on) their lifetimes are a bit suspect but they were solid for a long time. I mainly used them in my 360 controller and as batteries on my desk for whatever needed them but they could just about handle camera work (traditionally not the lowest power activity), likewise they were technically lower capacity (mAh) than other rechargeable batteries so did not last as long. Not having to faff about finding a socket, bringing chargers to friends/out and about, make sure you had a charger that supported the chemistry..... made up for that though.

Cactuar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That definitely looks like the most convenient option, since nearly everything has USB ports these days. I would probably seek out something with a higher capacity so I'll probably look into conventional rechargeable AA batteries. There are so many brands out there and probably most are over-priced so this will require a bit of homework before choosing.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the Wiimote rechargable battery packs are made by Nyko, and are only like $10 each. I'd just grab 2 if I were you, always charging one, and using the other.

Cactuar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the Wiimote rechargable battery packs are made by Nyko, and are only like $10 each. I'd just grab 2 if I were you, always charging one, and using the other.

Interesting. Would those suit someone who doesn't own wiimotes? I'm assuming the charger is the type where wiimotes sit in it? Also with the battery pack inserted in the GBA can you still use the standard battery door?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. Would those suit someone who doesn't own wiimotes? I'm assuming the charger is the type where wiimotes sit in it? Also with the battery pack inserted in the GBA can you still use the standard battery door?

It depends on the battery, but most of them will fit with the vanilla battery door. Some have contacts that stick out, and may give you issues, so shop diligently. and yeah, you need a wiimote charger. I have one with my Wii already.

Reactions: Cactuar

madeinair

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, I also forgot to mention, that you can remove (and replace) the rechargeable batteries on some battery packs (Just make sure you match the exact voltage of original batteries.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rechargeable Engergizers are great. I don't use them for GBA (I would if I still used my GBA, but I have an SP and a DS, so really it hasn't been used in years) but they work really well in my 360 controllers and Wii remotes. Eneloops would be good too, as already suggested, but I really didn't want to go to the hassle of buying that sort of thing online when I could just walk into pretty much any local store around and get rechargeable Engergizers.

Keep in mind, all batteries and battery packs will eventually wear out and die. If you go with some sort of rechargeable AA, be it Energizer, Eneloops, Duracell, whatever, you can just buy some more. If you buy some proprietary battery pack that only works with one device, chances are that by the time you wear it out you'll be right back to having to use AA's anyway.

Reactions: Cactuar

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rechargeable Energizers are great. I don't use them for GBA (I would if I still used my GBA, but I have an SP and a DS, so really it hasn't been used in years) but they work really well in my 360 controllers and Wii remotes. Eneloops would be good too, as already suggested, but I really didn't want to go to the hassle of buying that sort of thing online when I could just walk into pretty much any local store around and get rechargeable Engergizers.

I used to own both duracell and energizer rechargeables. both failed to hold a decent charge after a couple hundred charge cycles. the eneloops on the other hand, are simply amazing and was well worth ordering online. Amazon makes it literally painless to order stuff online.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"