[gba] Original GBA cart savegame -> G6 Lite?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Warm Woolly Shee, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have a collection of GBA pokemon carts that have great savegames.

I want to put those saves on my G6, and play pokemon roms, is that possible?

2. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    Good question, I'd like to know this too. It would be cool if you could read the saves directly into the PC from the GBA cart using the G6 USB adapter, but I don't expect that will work.

I expect the only way to do it would be to load a program into DS RAM from the G6, pull out the G6, push in the original GBA cart, read the save to RAM, unplug the original GBA cart, push in the G6, and write the save to the G6. I'm not sure if such a program exists or if this is even possible - can you pull out the G6 while the DS is switched on?

3. kalibar

Member kalibar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do the Pokemon games work perfectly on the G6? I've been meaning to play through FireRed for awhile now but haven't gotten around to it. I heard there was a patch for them or someshit that disabled real time clock since that has to be built into the flashcart itself, but I was under the impression that the G6 could do it with no problem.

I'd really only be interested in getting my Pokemon on if I knew it was going to work just like a retail cart. I looked on eBay for a retail copy of the shit, but it's still like $25-ish even used, and that's more than I'm interested in paying for what's basically the same game we've all been playing for years.

4. IAmTheRad

Member IAmTheRad GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    The G6 Lite has an internal real time clock. Why else would it have a battery?

5. kalibar

Member kalibar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That's what I figured, but you hear about IPS patches and shit for the Pokemon games all the time. Thanks for verifying.

6. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    It uses the battery to hold saves until next time you restart.

7. IAmTheRad

Member IAmTheRad GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    From the review here at http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=34239
    The G6/L has a unique save management system that will be music to many users ears after dealing with carts such as the M3 over a long period of time. The G6/L actually saves directly to the cart, without storing them temporarily in memory to be written the next time the NDS/L is powered on.

This means it does NOT store the saves temporarely.

8. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    The review is incorrect.

The early loader for the G6 Lite didn't have a warning message while it was copying the save from SRAM to flash memory (although it was still doing just that) and so the reviewer thought that it saved directly to flash. When they added the warning in later loader versions it was realised what was happening. Further tests of copying save files from flash memory via USB without rebooting the DS/G6 have proven this. See "What's going on with saves? Need to restart G6 Lite now?" thread http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=34837

9. mikesinclair555

Member mikesinclair555 GBAtemp Regular

United States
  10. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Thanks mike!

I want to back up my old pokemon saves, but not enough to make my own cable [​IMG]

What I'll do is this:

Get a friend's GBA and trade my team of pokemon from my real cart to my G6 lite.

11. ceraphis

Member ceraphis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    on chishm's site below the other program that was mentioned, it seems he has exactly what you were looking for, but it also only seems to support m3 CF GBAMP and supercard CF. I have a supercard CF so i'll be trying it sometime to try and get my advance wars 2 save onto G6. It won't be any time soon though. Just some food for thought.