Emulation GBA Music Riper Help

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble ripping music to a specific game. When I did the command prompt for gba_mus_riper (and dragged the rom file), I got "no sound engine was found". How do I rip music from the game now?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is the game?

Not all games use the sappy sound format which most tools for GBA audio ripping are built for, and occasionally the game devs might have stretched what the sappy sound engine normally did and that frustrates some tools. A variety of alternative audio formats have been seen (everything from tracker/sequenced formats to somewhat close to the hardware formats), some of them are known and can be worked with but many are unknown and you might have to learn to hack to get them out, else use an emulator and loop back the audio or something.

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the game?

Not all games use the sappy sound format which most tools for GBA audio ripping are built for, and occasionally the game devs might have stretched what the sappy sound engine normally did and that frustrates some tools. A variety of alternative audio formats have been seen (everything from tracker/sequenced formats to somewhat close to the hardware formats), some of them are known and can be worked with but many are unknown and you might have to learn to hack to get them out, else use an emulator and loop back the audio or something.

The two games I'm having trouble with are:

-Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo: 9 Kyoku Senshi Gyagu Yuugou
-Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo: Bakuto Hajike Taisen

Are there other sound engines out there other than SAPPY?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, though it appears my bookmarks are failing me at this point for specific links. To the best of my knowledge most of the non sappy stuff was only used on a couple of games so it is not "if it is not sappy it is probably *".

If you need audio hardware information then http://belogic.com/gba/ is the main place people start (navigation at the top of the screen) and of course http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm has good stuff.

For the formats some you will find are classic high level formats like mod and xm, others were built for the GBA and others were cobbled together to sort of just about work or be like another system a dev knew.

You can use emulators as well, and also do things like mute sound effects with via channels or in the game itself (there is a large difference between understanding the full audio format and making it so a few sound effects don't play and you can then rip whatever you need via a simple record/loop back affair).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    On a serious note, have you tested your ISP DNS answer time ?
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Last time i've checked, my ISP was like 5/6 ms slower than Cloudflare x)
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    yeah. I've tried changing dns too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Check cpuid make sure ram sockets are detected
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    (and i'm fibered, 5gb shared downloads, 1gb upload)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or even in bios
    its mostly when starting firefox that it's noticible slower. Opening and loading the homepage. Tried fresh installs and all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Knowing your system specs would help
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    if you're in win 11, have you checked which graphical processor Firefox was using ?
    after it's open, its a bit slower too at loading pages, but not as noticeable as the initial startup and homepage loading
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    can make a little difference
    You mean as in hardware acceleration on or off?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Went to make cup noodles, spilled boiling water on me then the kettle decided to pop
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why I saw a kettle with wifi
    Will try that now
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    ouch @K3Nv2 hope nothing's too bad !
    xda a good site. My go to site for phone shit. :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Females have burnt me worse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    females don't exist
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Tamales exist.
    +1
    Setting FF to max performance on my gpu made it slower. lol. Tried it on Edge too just to see, and it made Edge slower too. lol
    Thanks for trying. :)
    ill just use edge and watch nintendo videos on firefox. lolol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The everything beagle cup noodles are actually pretty decent
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The everything beagle cup noodles are actually pretty decent