GBA Micro needs Music!

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by GreatCrippler, Aug 9, 2010.

Aug 9, 2010

GBA Micro needs Music! by GreatCrippler at 3:39 AM (1,283 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. GreatCrippler
    OP

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    Ok, so I have my Micro set up with my EZflash IV. I want to be able to listen to MP3s. This can be done? I have read somewhere that moonshell can work with this to play MP3s? I am kinda lost. :-P I wanna listen to music on my micro with my EZflash IV. Can be done, or not? If so, how?

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    It can be done. Things you need to know:

The micro has mono output except for headphone jacks.
    The mp3 player has a limit of 32MB for any group of mp3s you wad together.
    setting your mp3s over 128kbs will strain the processing power.

3. GreatCrippler
    OP

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    All good to know... Now... how do I accomplish such?

4. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    It is called music player advance, you can google that up, you should find it on the first search page. It is not in filetrip, so no direct link.

There was another one called gsm player, required transcoding of your files. has same limitations as the music player advance.

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The only way to play actual MP3 files on the GBA is to buy the "Nintendo MP3 Player" cartridge, which has hardware on-board for decoding the files. Otherwise, the GBA is too weak to decode mp3 files in real time, which is why you have to convert to a lower quality format first. Both Music Player Advance and GBA GSM Player will work for this purpose, but in my experience I found GSM Player to be less of a hassle to work with. Your mileage may vary.

For both, you'll want to have a program on your computer capable of opening mp3 files and saving them as WAVE files, such as Audacity or Wavepad.