GBA Micro faceplates?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by BenRK, Jul 1, 2012.

Jul 1, 2012

GBA Micro faceplates? by BenRK at 3:31 AM (4,891 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. BenRK
    OP

Member BenRK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    A few months ago, I got a Gameboy Micro for SUPER cheap. It plays things just fine, though I had to buy a charger (thank you local game store!). The face plate is fairly scratched up too, and I've been looking to replace it. Of course, no one has them anymore. They have decals, and if the screen portion wasn't scratched up, that would be enough. But nooooooooo...

SO! Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? I don't care what color or whatnot.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    If you don't mind buying from eBay, you can find plenty on eBay for $10-$20 each.

3. AceWarhead

Member AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

United States
    Nope.
    Searched for hours a week ago fro ANY faceplates. And couldn't find any...

4. Icealote

Member Icealote My Winter...

Australia
    Not really. It's obsolete lol the only good chances are ebay or amazon which sell at expensive prices. I haven't checked for them for a long time since I bought an expensive Super robot wars faceplate earlier this year.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Oops you're right, heh never mind.

6. regnad

Member regnad Button Masher

Japan
    I live in Tokyo.

I've scoured the used game shops in Akihabara and elsewhere, and kept my eyes patiently open.

No luck for quite a long time. Best I've seen is whole systems in really good condition. Faceplates by themselves is a big nope.

Please let us know if you turn anything up, though!

7. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    they tend to pop-up on ebay. i see them mostly around xmas, but you can find them throughout the year. my local gamestop gets them from time to time as well. you might also want to try www.gamedude.com, give them a call and see if they have any.

-another world

8. BenRK
    OP

Member BenRK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Eh, I'll keep an eye out for one on ebay, but I don't have my hopes up... Maaaybe there's a way to get a transparent 3D print from Shapeways or something... Hmmmmmm!

9. tvoretz

Newcomer tvoretz Advanced Member

United States
    EDIT: For anyone who stumbles upon this looking for a new faceplate for their Gameboy Micro, ignore my posts. Since writing this post, I've had firsthand experience with the faceplate in the 21-in-1 starter kit. One of the tabs holding it in place broke in two days from simply opening and closing the sun shield (something you have to do every time you take the Gameboy out to use). Instead, consider looking into Wiggy's custom faceplates (mentioned farther down the thread).
    ---
    There's a 21-in-1 GBM starter set on Amazon that apparently contains a faceplate (with a recent review backing this up). At 48 bucks (plus 8 dollar shipping), it's quite expensive, but you should be able to find the same kit on ebay for less. Also, as of this writing, there are two new black faceplates on ebay.

10. T3GZdev

Member T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    im currently looking for a gameboy micro faceplate now.
    & before anyone says use google, google brought me here... :ninja:

11. 59672

Member 59672 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    You could always use some fine sanding paper, sand the old paint off and paint it with something like krylon fusion, a paint made for plastic. Not the most elegant solution but if done properly will still look great.

12. tvoretz

Newcomer tvoretz Advanced Member

United States
    This is really not a good idea. Since the screen is covered by the faceplate, a single false swipe of the sandpaper would ruin it, as would a wayward drip of paint. (Furthermore, most people looking for a replacement faceplate are doing so because the current faceplate is already scratched on top of the screen.)
    What I said before is true now; eBay is your best bet. The 21-in-1 starter kit contains a replacement faceplate.

13. T3GZdev

Member T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    hmm thanks that has brought me great interest. :ninja:

14. W hat

Member W hat Rhythm Heaven Fan

United States
    http://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress.com/

This guy is working on making new faceplates. He posts frequently on Thecoverproject.net and has posted pictures of his prototype there. No word on pricing yet, but they're just pieces of plastic.

15. wiggatron

Newcomer wiggatron Advanced Member

United States
    Yup, that's me!

These faceplates aren't exactly like the original faces. They're basically an adhesive-backed resin appliqué. So they're a little more permanent than the originals, BUT can be made in any color, metallic finishes, and with ANY sort of custom artwork/graphic that you want :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. xerces

Member xerces GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How much for one of those, wiggatron?

17. wiggatron

United States
    I don't have a price just yet and it'll depend on whether its something custom or a pre-designed pattern/color/etc. That said, I'd estimate in the $25 range. Remember that these are all one off. They don't get ejected from an injection mold. If I were able to get a large enough group buy together, then the prices would go down.

18. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    how permanent is the adhesive? how easy can your covers be swapped, replaced, etc?

-another world

19. wiggatron

United States
    It's permanent enough that it should stay on virtually forever if you'd like (these are normally used in automotive applications as replacement trunk badges), but with a hair dryer and a little work they do come off with a minimal amount of fuss. So, they're as easy to swap as that. It should be noted that it would be really difficult if not impossible to reuse it. These are really intended as a replacement for someone in dire need of a faceplate or those that want something really custom or unique ;)