Hardware GBA Micro disappearing in Canada?

bryehn

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
...so after playing bit-Generations last night, I decided it was time to round out my hardware collection with a GBA Micro.

I checked FutureShop, and they had them listed at $69.99. Not on sale or anything.

I started to shop around the other major retailer's sites (BestBuy, Toys R Us, etc), and no one else seems to have any stocked, although they all did last week.

Someone else told me they found one at Zellers for $50!!!

The SP is still in stock everywhere, and $100.

Has the Micro been discontinued? At least in Canada?

Were sales that terrible?

edit: also a search of ebgames.com turn up no trace of the Game Boy Micro.

D

Deleted User

it's absolutely the same situation here in germany! about two months ago the first store listed it at EUR 55 and since then it's for sale at about EUR 50-60 almost everywhere, as opposed to the gba sp which is still priced at EUR 90-100 (i remind you that this is the old style gba sp - not the one with the brighter screen).
i also realized that there was very limited stock of both. at least where i live each shop only has got like 2-3 micros + 1-2 gba sps but that could be because they have to stock the ds/lite and the psp too.

on the other hand considering the fact that gba games are playable on a ds/lite - which sells very well in europe - it seems pretty reasonable to slowly stop the gba production.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While GBA games are playable on the DS/DS Lite, who wants to carry around a huge honking thing to mainly play their GBA games - for goodness sake, the GBA games don't even fill the whole screen, you have one entire screen that's not used, as well as extra buttons in the way!
tongue.gif

I feel your pain over the Micro - I was actually looking to pick up a second one, and have had the same trouble - they're mysteriously disappearing. Try Wal-Mart, Zellers & Toys R Us if you're serious about getting one. I'm not talking online either, get your tail into their brick & mortar stores.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo never said the Micro was a permenent thing. They said it was more of an experiment and it's future including face plates and such depended solely on sales. Maybe it hasn't sold very well and Nintendo is quietly stopping production.

D

Deleted User

While GBA games are playable on the DS/DS Lite, who wants to carry around a huge honking thing to mainly play their GBA games - for goodness sake, the GBA games don't even fill the whole screen, you have one entire screen that's not used, as well as extra buttons in the way!
tongue.gif

laugh.gif
don't get me wrong, i love my micro!

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably miss the micro train and that's ok. I think about it once in a while, but when I had the cash I bought the GBASP2 instead (the backlit SP) and I'm glad I did. Now I want DSL, so tough luck for the micro. It's neat, but superfluous.

akuma99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bestbuy has them online for $99, all 3 models although I have not seen them in the stores in a while. My local Game Stop and Ebgames had them last time I checked for $99 this was like a week ago. But best buy has them now, or you can allways e-bay one. there's always a way to get something if you really want it.

mm91187

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
amazon.com has them for $69.82, get em while you can. bestbuy let me do a price match so i got a micro for $69.. wooot!

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I gave mine away, seriously the screen was way to small for me. I bought the new SP with a brighter screen and was like OMG look how big everything is...OMG the Micro sucks....but in reality if your in school or something in might be usefull but I normally play games on my couch so the SP with brite screen kicks the Micro's ass hands down in my book. And I have not looked for them in stores so I have no idea if they are available in my area

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.