Homebrew gba link cable dump not working on wii u with Gamecube controller adapter in wii homebrew mode

TheComputerTech1337

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm trying to get all of the gba games that we own to a digital version for emualtor's and all that. However there is one issue. When I launch the gba link cable dump it gets stuck at the awaiting for gba in port 2 even though it's clearly in port 2 and its on. It just freezes and I have to unplug the wii u. I even tried running it on dolphin with the homebrew channel on it and the usb plugged into the computer and changing dolphin settings to use the gamecube controller adapter (Yes I have the correct drivers). Same thing happens. Does anyone know what to do so I can dump the GBA games to the PC or wii u with the gamecube controller adapter?
Any help would be appreciated!

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's because the Wii U can't comunicate with a GBA via the GBA link cable, no matter what brand of Gamecube controller adapter your have for the Wii U (official or third party). Those peripherals simply lack the components necessary to understand that a GBA is connected. This is one of the few feature that a Wii U simply can not perform while a Wii can (unless maybe you did a custom hardmod on your Wii U).

Perhaps one day, there may be hope to instead use a modded DS (or 3DS in DS mode) to wirelessly connect with the Wii U and be recognized as a GBA as proposed here. I mean there is no word anyone is actively working on it, but in theory it could be done.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Reactions: TheComputerTech1337

TheComputerTech1337

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's because the Wii U can't comunicate with a GBA via the GBA link cable, no matter what brand of Gamecube controller adapter your have for the Wii U (official or third party). Those peripherals simply lack the components necessary to understand that a GBA is connected. This is one of the few feature that a Wii U simply can not perform while a Wii can (unless maybe you did a custom hardmod on your Wii U).

AH! That makes sense. Then what about homebrew through dolphin? is there a reason that can’t see the GBA with the GBA Link cable? Or is there a program that can or a way to have the PC see it? Or is that just not possible with the GameCube to USB adapter?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AH! That makes sense. Then what about homebrew through dolphin? is there a reason that can’t see the GBA with the GBA Link cable? Or is there a program that can or a way to have the PC see it? Or is that just not possible with the GameCube to USB adapter?
Man I dunno about the emulating the machines on PC and connecting to a GBA. I've not heard of GBA controllers being used to control a virtual Gamecube/Wii on PC, something tells me that the feature is only really accessible with real hardware (actual Gamecube or Wii (versions with Gamecube inputs) only). But don't quote me on that, maybe someone did implement it working into Dolphin at some point, but I can't say I've ever heard of it if it has.

Reactions: TheComputerTech1337

TheComputerTech1337

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I dunno about the emulating the machines on PC and connecting to a GBA. I've not heard of GBA controllers being used to control a virtual Gamecube/Wii on PC, something tells me that the feature is only really accessible with real hardware (actual Gamecube or Wii (versions with Gamecube inputs) only). But don't quote me on that, maybe someone did implement it working into Dolphin at some point, but I can't say I've ever heard of it if it has.

Well darn... I guess I’ll have to use a normal wii then. I’ll get that worked out.
Thank you very much!
Saved me hours of troubleshooting!

Reactions: MikaDubbz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.