GBA hits 3DS for ambassadors, and look awful!

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Daniel Carville, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Daniel Carville
    OP

Newcomer Daniel Carville Fantastic.

Ireland

It's a damn shame about Yoshi's Island in perticular.
    Either way though, the GBA lineup is amazing.

1 person likes this.

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    More of an opinion piece than a news story. Moving to 3DS sections.

3. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    that is pretty sad. I guess since nintendo currently has no plans to release gba games on the e-shop they just quickly ported the games.

4. Daniel Carville
    OP

Ireland
    Sure bro, thanks.
    Yeah, although hopefully they're just 'beta' versions, like the NES and GB games, since they're due an update sometime (probably the upcoming January update).

5. masterchan777

Member masterchan777 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Great titles ported badly, I thought they wanted the new ports to be faithful to the originals, but the end result was really bad !!!

2 people like this.
  6. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States

Oh yeah I did notice this as well. I don't know why nobody else posted about this. Everyone is too busy glorifying the ambassador program which I'm kinda oblivious to the reasoning behind.

And I did wish I could resize the screen on Zelda. I am assuming that if they coded it so you could do that, the pixels would all be misshaped. But who knows. Just load up an emulator and resize it yourself I guess.

I think this whole thing was kind of a botched idea of Nintendo to do personally. Adding points to your nintendo account would have been a better idea.

1 person likes this.
  7. Nathan576

Newcomer Nathan576 Advanced Member

United States
    It looks like a rom in a emulator, which is what I was expecting. They never said remakes I'm fine with them but I wouldn't mind an update.

8. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    WAAAAAAY overexagerated. This sounds something like the POS rumors The Sun was spreading about the 3DS before it came out. They're just trying to rant on Nintendo. Complaining about no savestates, really? Oh what a shame, you have to play and save the games as they were originally meant to, someone have pity on him. The blur is just the exact same on a real GBA (tested using Minish Cap on my GBA and the 3DS thing), they are NOT blurry, that's called upscaling, if you dislike it so much, DISABLE it by holding start or select during starting the game.

The only thing he's right on is the color saturation, it is definately duller and less saturated than the actual GBA. That's not that big of a problem though, plus, these were all FREE, Nintendo didn't even HAVE to give them to us, so there is NO reason to complain at all.

Seriously, some people just make me sick....

11 people like this.
  9. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Looks OK to me although I miss having a way to quick save a game.

10. Daniel Carville
    OP

Ireland
    Calm down.
    I'm a Nintendo fanboy for the most part, but there is no excuse for this.

Savestates aren't required, but being able to stop mid-level and resume later is an extremely good feature, and guess what? That's a save state.

The motion blur is much worse than the actual hardware, I know this because I tested it literally a few hours ago.
    The upscaling does cause the blurring of the screen, but there's no excuse for the digital ghosting.

Also the start/select feature barely fixes the motion blur (if at all) and renders the games at their original scale, which to be honest, does NOTHING but make the game look smaller, it's still blurry.
    And sure, they're free, but if your phone sent free text messages, but half of them didn't send, you'd complain anyway.

11. manuel1984

Member manuel1984 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Why again no Y/B?
    can't belive it

12. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    Argh. They get what they want, and already someone complains. -_- Dude, those games are a port. The games are left INTACT. Besides, If you don't like the blurring images, disable the upscaling. Damn. I absolute HATE people that doesn't appreciate what they are given for FREE.

5 people like this.
  13. Daniel Carville
    OP

Ireland
    They're emulated, the up-scaling doesn't cause motion blur, and I do appreciate that it's free.

What now?
    I'm talking about the problems, not glorifying it.

14. Daniel Carville
    OP

Ireland
    Considering the display and lack of multiplayer, I really do wonder WHY it took so long.

1 person likes this.
  15. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    They look fine, and you can do original resolution if you want just like NES/GB games. (Although I guess Yoshi's Island does have some ghosting...dang.)The main thing that disappoints me is lack of multiplayer support when they took forever to release them.

16. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    I'm sorry, the GBA didn't have save states on ANY of it's games nor a sleep mode, why the eff should we get them now? Because we're too lazy to hit the Pause button? No. And guess what? I'm not a dumbass, stop talking to me like one.
    GBA SP or regular? I was testing on the GBA regular, launch unit. it had the same amount of blur.
    I admit I don't have the greatest vision in the world, but I don't see any ghosting when I play. It might be my vision though, I'll give you that. As for your upscalling comment..... part of upscaling is the blur, but when the blur is caused ONLY by upscaling, it's called "upscaling", it's a given to anyone that knows electronics with upscalings that it will blur. I'm not seeing any additional blur ontop of the upscalling. Again though, just turn upscaling off, fixes all blurring.
    Nothign but make the game look smaller? Really? Do you know anything about pixels? It's rendering the game in the actual number of pixels the GBA uses. It's smaller because the 3DS's pixels are smaller than the GBA's.
    That analogy is so far off from being accurate I'm not even going to humor it with a reply.

17. Daniel Carville
    OP

Ireland
    0/10
    I know exactly how the 3DS renders the GBA games, and honestly, I don't think you know what you're talking about.
    And I doubt your ability to spot motion blur, as in Yoshi's Island, it's pretty fucking severe.

18. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Pick two:

Fast
    Good
    Cheap

Seriously, everybody is running around the Internet screaming " WHER R MAH GBA GAEMS", did you really not expect a hit in quality, when Nintendo is scrambling to get your FREE games to you as quick as they can??

3 people like this.
  19. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    This analogy is inaccurate. The ambassador program wasn't even advertised.

20. Daniel Carville
    OP

Ireland
    They took their goddamn time with the GBA games, I still don't know what took them so long judging by what we got.

Eh, all rage aside, I'm enjoying the hell out of Wario Land 4, but I still can't even play Yoshi's Island without getting distracted by the smearing.

1 person likes this.