Hardware GBA high pitch screeching sound?

biolizardshadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I replaced the ending credits song in my rom hack and for some reason the sound engine seems to be having trouble with it. Once one of the sounds plays an A5 during the middle of the song what I can describe as a high pitched electronic screeching sound plays in the left ear, then the note playing that A5 cuts out completely. If this sound is muted a electronic sound still plays during that part of the song, but it is mono and not a high pitched sound. Any ideas of what might be going on? I lowered the output sample rate, but that did not do anything, so I was wondering if this is related to a ram issue?

Last edited by biolizardshadow,
Reactions: orangy57

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a distinct possibility that the problem is related to this specific sound engine, isn't it?

The obvious first step is to try to duplicate the problem by playing an A5 in a different game. (Not sure what the best candidate would be, but it seems a lot of work has been done with the "sappy" engine.)

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's one useful thing to establish, yes.

Are you using someone else's editor to make these changes, or did you write your own editor?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, the usual troubleshooting steps apply, I would think. Make a song that uses, say, B5, insert it into the ROM, and then compare it to another ROM with the same song inserted but that uses A5 instead. Then do a byte-by-byte comparison and see how the ROMs differ.

If you're looking for more specific advice, it doesn't look like anyone here is volunteering.

biolizardshadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the usual troubleshooting steps apply, I would think. Make a song that uses, say, B5, insert it into the ROM, and then compare it to another ROM with the same song inserted but that uses A5 instead. Then do a byte-by-byte comparison and see how the ROMs differ.

If you're looking for more specific advice, it doesn't look like anyone here is volunteering.

Sadly you are right. Thank you for doing your best to give me advice, I appreciate it!

Reactions: Kwyjor

biolizardshadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I WAS ABLE TO FIX MY PROBLEM! For some reason the drum channel would activate and play what I presume is a corrupted sound which would cause the loud screeching sound to play. I changed it so it won't play in my song anymore.

Reactions: Kwyjor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs