GBA Health Warning Screen Removal

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by santorix10, Mar 25, 2008.

Mar 25, 2008
  1. santorix10
    OP

Member santorix10 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was wondering if there was a way to remove the health warning screen on GBA games. I've tried Google, but all I get is FlashMe stuff. Can an intro remover get rid of these screens? Or, has no one felt like making a tool for this yet? It would be nice if this was integrated into BatchGBA too.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The intro removers are usually fairly basic tools which detect a non-standard offset for the start of the binary and then force it back to the standard.
    The difference comes in the GBA roms have it in the code while the DS has it in the firmware meaning every rom would likely have to be individually hacked and so far nobody has bothered to do this.

If you feel like having a go your best bet as I see it would be to do what flashme actually does and find the timer responsible and change the presumably add command to set or just add a large number making it effectively not appear (try not to mess up the timings though (make it in line with vblanks and such) as I do not know how good the routine used is).

3. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    I thought there might be some reproduced code used by the health screen so I did a test to see if it was feasible to make a generic patcher. Unfortunately different registers are used for different titles and the method I used doesn't totally avoid the screen but merely makes it think a button was pressed as soon as it will allow the passing of the screen. So you actually see the screen for about a second. And if you're interested at all: I tested on Dr Mario & Puzzle League and the patch to apply is 0028 at 94C.

4. santorix10
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I was hoping that it would just be a nice, stand alone program that we could just trim out. [​IMG] I am definitely interested though, and I'll see if this will work on some other games...

EDIT: (What a retard I was, I forgot to mention...) Thanks for the help.

5. stephenophof

Member stephenophof GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Health & Warning screen at GBA games?

I have never seen such screen!?

6. santorix10
    OP

United States
    Some of the later games have it built in.

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Useful information Cracker, thank you. I play that game often and that patch is most useful.