Gaming GBA games with best score

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which games do you think had the best overall musical score?

As far as I'm concerned, Golden Sun 1/2 win hands down, its incredible varied orchestrated score ranging from upbeat village themes, to sad depressing themes, to the high-bpm battle themes, fitting every emotion imaginable. Second place would go to the Super Robot Wars games, epic music to reinforce the epic story (Time to Come). Aria of Sorrow comes in at third place, its music always perfectly fitting the somewhat creepy atmosphere of the area (lives up to and surpasses the legacy of the series).

MMBN 1 and 3 had a couple spectacular tracks (read: opening and hero theme), but the overall score was fairly bland and repetitive. Pokemon deserves a mention for its fruity upbeat music, which is surprisingly decent, in addition to some great (and less fruity) battle tracks.

Torte

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Aria of Sorrow, but no Circle of the Moon? Wut?

Too bad Golden Sun's gameplay isn't up to the high standards of its score. *raises fanboy flame shield*

In retrospect, the GBA didn't have many great soundtracks (the DS has way more already). The Mega Man Zero games weren't too bad, though, and technically speaking, the Phoenix Wright trilogy was born on the GBA... so that makes it the best GBA score ever. Hands down. No questions. Object and I'll knock you out =)

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Torte said:
In retrospect, the GBA didn't have many great soundtracks (the DS has way more already).
Ahaha.

No.

QUOTEand technically speaking, the Phoenix Wright trilogy was born on the GBA... so that makes it the best GBA score ever. Hands down. No questions. Object and I'll knock you out =)
I found the Phoenix Wright scores to be pretty subpar, aside from the court themes, so I guess I object.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Minna no soft tetris: as you played you got more of the band playing. Overall the score was not that good but it certainly grew on me.

RPG wise I guess there was a fair few but the obvious games to draw parallels to would be the 16 bit era games (half of them were though I guess) which is both a fair and unfair method by which to compare owing to the serious sound hardware in the 16 bit consoles.

P

pasc

Well, Kingdom Hearts,

the Opening - Battle - Herotrack in mmbn5,

Payback soundtrack was pretty decent aswell.

The sims bustin out and urbz - sims in the city got som chili tracks too

Other soundwise notesworthy games would probably be
- the F-zero Series
- Summon Night games
- Max Payne (because the music creates a very deep atmosphere)

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, for sure. Excellent original score. Their title screen in particular. It's too bad the new songs (read: non-remix) made for FR/LG and Emerald are horrible in comparision.

Final Fantasy I and V have some pretty good tracks. So do the Fire Emblem games, plus a few MMBN ones.

Jack-Of-Trades

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
In retrospect, the GBA didn't have many great soundtracks (the DS has way more already).

I Don't quite see how it's fair to compare a older system to a new system...

[GBA]
Sound 16Bit-Mono (stereo with Mod or Gameboy Player)

[DS]
Sound 16Bit-stereo

And IMO FF Games have the best score's (even the slaughtered port's from snes to gba

But if just mentioning scores from any game Baiten Kaitos EWatLO & Origins

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My votes go to Metroid: Zero Mission for its epic atmosfear of solitude and Kingdom Hearts for it's variety and the way music is used as an introduction to each of the worlds.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jack-Of-Trades said:
[GBA]
Sound 16Bit-Mono (stereo with Mod or Gameboy Player)
The GBA is certainly capable of standard stereo sound, though of course without headphones it all comes out the one speaker. Have you tried MusicPlayer Advance before?

Golden Sun's score is excellent. I'm also slightly partial to Rayman Advance, though perhaps that's because it's the first GBA game I ever got.

acoustic.digital

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FF VI. Epic score. And the best on the GBA.
if you guys mention Pokemon, you should also mention Drill Dozer (also from Game Freaks); the score of this game is written in the same style than the pokemon games, and was actually better.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
The Camelot games have the best music. If you played Golden Sun, the music in Mario Golf/Mario Tennis is recognizable as being in the same style as the upbeat tunes from golden sun.

Jack-Of-Trades

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The GBA is certainly capable of standard stereo sound, though of course without headphones it all comes out the one speaker. Have you tried MusicPlayer Advance before?

Yes i know with either a Hardware Mod or a Gameboy Player (NGC Acc) It can be given stereo but since the retail GBA/Sp/Micro doesn't come with it i consider it Mono since that's what the majority have access to

And amazingly the GBA could of had a few extra tidbit's
stereo (Done with Mod )
AV Out (Done with Mod)

Resource

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm saying you don't need a hardware mod to add stereo sound. Just plug in headphones. I just turned on Golden Sun and can hear two distinct channels being played.

Mr. Noid

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
American Idol
nyanya.gif

muckers

Trophies
XP
Country
*Both the Golden Sun games (though for some reason I preferred the first game's score a little more)

*Zelda: ALttP

*Pokemon FireRed/Leaf Green. It was awesome hearing all the old Red and Blue tunes remixed to GBA quality music.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.