GBA games that don't fit in the EZV 3in1?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by RheairdFlyer, May 3, 2007.

May 3, 2007
  1. RheairdFlyer
    OP

Newcomer RheairdFlyer Newbie

United States
    I've been planning to buy an EZV Expansion 3in1 along with an R4DS.
    I don't mind that I can only put one GBA game into it at a time, but I also heard that some of the larger GBA games will not fit. (Kingdom Hearts, Riviera). I'm wondering if there are any GBA games that will not fit into the EZV 3in1, because there are some games that I will really want to have, but if it won't work with the 3in1, I might not buy it.
    So are there any games that won't fit/work? If there are, is there a solution to get around it? Thanks.

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    You heard wrong. The 3-in-1 has 32 megabytes of NOR flash memory, which is exactly enough to hold the biggest GBA roms.

Also, the 3-in-1 will be able to hold more than one rom once GBALdr gets a bit farther along in development. It still won't hold a lot of games, but one to four games on the cart at once is better than just one.

3. RheairdFlyer
    OP

Newcomer RheairdFlyer Newbie

United States
    Allright, that's great. I guess I will be getting one then, thanks [​IMG]

4. lilpotpie

Newcomer lilpotpie Member

United States
    Ok, assuming I have the R4DS in my DS Lite:

1) How does EZFV3in1 work? I mean, do I need to buy a separate microsd card, or a linker of some sort? I can't seem to find any info on this - http://www.gp2xstore.com/products/EZ_Flash..._Pak-50-19.html

2) Can the rumble be switched off? it really sucks.

3) The EZFV3in1 would work wiht my R4DS in slot1 right? I'd just have to select to boot from it while in the main screen?

Thanks,
    lpp

5. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    1)
    No, the data is written from the slot1 card (in this case r4ds) to the ez-v expansion. So the R4 needs to have a MicroSD containing the gba file to write to the slot2 card and when it's written to it, it will just work like a normal GBA game.

2)
    It can't be turned on actually, cause you need to patch the roms in order to support rumble and the patch is only available for EZ-V the slot1 card. (And else you could have like put the card out to disable rumble?)

3)
    When the data is written on it, you can start the GBA game in DS's main screen yes. Also with the newer firmwares of R4 you can select boot from slot2 in the R4 menu as well, cause it will then detect it as a GBA game and put a sexay border around it.
    You must however write a GBA game to it first, which you will do with a homebrew app, which you can find here.

6. lilpotpie

Newcomer lilpotpie Member

United States
    thanks for the first class reply; really cleared my questions; would ask again if i think of anymore!

7. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    It's actually quite easy to enable rumble for any game on any slot 1 cart that supports soft reset. Just run Elf Bowling (or some other small rom) through the rumble patcher and put it on the memory card. When you want to enable rumble, just start up the patched rom, soft reset, and start the game you want to use rumble with.

That said, the rumble on the 3-in-1 really does suck, and I'm glad it won't work unless I make it work.