GBA games like Pokemon but not so repetitive?

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by romanaOne, Jan 30, 2016.

1. romanaOne
    OP

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    Is there life after elite 4? I don't gotta catch 'em all when it entails endless repetitive play in hopes of some improbable pokemon showing up. I'll settle for getting most of 'em instead of running laps around the Petalburg woods because a gamefaq says I missed one in there. How about some more plot, exploration...., play, fun?

Surely there must have been imitations? Or were they just terrible?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I would hold most of the "pokemon clones" the GBA saw were better than pokemon.

In no particular order Robopon 2, medabots RPG (not sure where people are at with the various Japanese ones, called medarot if you want to see them, but the English one is good too), Demikids dark version*, Telefang 2 ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/telefang-2-full-translation-patch.346322/ ) and going a bit further out into things then monster rancher, Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart (translation http://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/t...ravan-heart-jap-eng-ips-patch-1-0-f26455.html ), and of course some of the battle network series.

*the light version is actually a far simpler/easier game, and somewhat different which was a bit of a deviation from the 2 of the same game with minor changes formula that all the other games mentioned do.

3. romanaOne
    OP

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    Thanks for this. I had no idea about these games. I often wonder about the stuff not considered export quality....

btw, the translation is pretty rough on Telefang. I don't know much Japanese, but some of the tortuous, non-idomatic Engrish nonsense could easily be fixed even if you don't know any Japanese:

Horrible ESL English:
    Code:
    Mr. Mu: Decades ago, Antenna Tree is a bridge between Human World and Denjuu World.
    Mr. Mu: But one day, Antenna Tree started to wither with no clear reason.
    Mr.Mu: People never stop their guesses.

Normal, what it probably means:
    Code:
    Mr. Mu: The Antenna Tree was once a gateway to the Denjuu World...
    Mr. Mu: ...until it suddenly started withering away.
    Mr. Mu: No one knows why.

otoh, I'm not sure at all why everyone is so obsessed with "daddy" in the intro.