Homebrew GBA games like Golden Sun on 3DS using blue card

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, is it possible to play GBA games (namely Golden sun) at full speed using the GW blue card?

If so, can someone please detail me the method. Thank you. It would be a huge help as otherwise I'm guessing I need to buy a DSI XL and a new flashcard or the games.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, is it possible to play GBA games (namely Golden sun) at full speed using the GW blue card?

Here's the thread you're looking for:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-blue-card-multikernel-v1-01.364695/

Basically, it gives the blue-card the function of many full-function DS flashcarts. That thread will be able to answer many of your questions.

Before you do that, if you haven't already, you'll probably need to install a CIA that will allow your blue card to work on your 3ds (if you haven't downgraded). so long as you can install the CIA. Here's the thread about that CIA:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-use-blocked-ds-flashcards-on-3ds-probably-n3ds-too.376719/

Is it possible to run GBA games? yes. Full speed? I'm not sure, I haven't done it myself yet to test. I wouldn't expect DSTwo speeds regardless.

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, should I just buy a DS Lite instead since they're so cheap?

do flash carts for GBA work on DS lite?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

If so, can someone please detail me the method. Thank you. It would be a huge help as otherwise I'm guessing I need to buy a DSI XL and a new flashcard or the games.
Yes, with gbaemu4ds.
Sound quality was piss poor last time I tried it though. Otherwise it seemed to be running fine. Maybe sound quality has improved since then.

themperror

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you use the blue card then you are limited to DS clock speeds which is VERY slow compared to 3DS. especially for emulation this is really bad, SNES works on 3DS just good enough, as the GBA has almost the same power requirements I'd say GBA games run VERY slow on DS

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Okay, should I just buy a DS Lite instead since they're so cheap?

do flash carts for GBA work on DS lite?

Yes GBA Flash carts work fine on DS lite.
I would rather get a Game Boy Advance if i was you, its a better experience and cheaper than DS Lite.
I can tell you that Golden Sun emulated with a DStwo is not that great ...

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Slightly bigger screen on the GBA.
The DS lite plays GBA games letter-boxed in the center of any of the 2 screens in order to maintain the pixel ratio and over all smaller, the only advantage i see in the lite is the stereo sound. Don't take me wrong playing GBA on the lite is great.
If you consider a GBA instead of a DS lite go for a AGS-101 GBA SP model because those are backlight screens and have a great picture. GBA SP AGS-001 model is front light and not so good, the original GBA has no light it only works great when played outside.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.