GBA games like Golden Sun on 3DS using blue card

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by aofelix, Jan 13, 2015.

1. aofelix
    OP

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    Hey, is it possible to play GBA games (namely Golden sun) at full speed using the GW blue card?

If so, can someone please detail me the method. Thank you. It would be a huge help as otherwise I'm guessing I need to buy a DSI XL and a new flashcard or the games.

2. Clousuke

Clousuke Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2014
    Gambia, The
    No, it will not run on the blue card.

3. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Here's the thread you're looking for:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-blue-card-multikernel-v1-01.364695/

Basically, it gives the blue-card the function of many full-function DS flashcarts. That thread will be able to answer many of your questions.

Before you do that, if you haven't already, you'll probably need to install a CIA that will allow your blue card to work on your 3ds (if you haven't downgraded). so long as you can install the CIA. Here's the thread about that CIA:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-use-blocked-ds-flashcards-on-3ds-probably-n3ds-too.376719/

Is it possible to run GBA games? yes. Full speed? I'm not sure, I haven't done it myself yet to test. I wouldn't expect DSTwo speeds regardless.

4. aofelix
    OP

Dec 21, 2013
    Okay, should I just buy a DS Lite instead since they're so cheap?

do flash carts for GBA work on DS lite?

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Yes, with gbaemu4ds.
    Sound quality was piss poor last time I tried it though. Otherwise it seemed to be running fine. Maybe sound quality has improved since then.

6. themperror

themperror GBAtemp Regular

Aug 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    If you use the blue card then you are limited to DS clock speeds which is VERY slow compared to 3DS. especially for emulation this is really bad, SNES works on 3DS just good enough, as the GBA has almost the same power requirements I'd say GBA games run VERY slow on DS

7. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2004
    Portugal
    Yes GBA Flash carts work fine on DS lite.
    I would rather get a Game Boy Advance if i was you, its a better experience and cheaper than DS Lite.
    I can tell you that Golden Sun emulated with a DStwo is not that great ...

8. aofelix
    OP

Dec 21, 2013
    why is GBA a better experience?

9. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2004
    Portugal
    Slightly bigger screen on the GBA.
    The DS lite plays GBA games letter-boxed in the center of any of the 2 screens in order to maintain the pixel ratio and over all smaller, the only advantage i see in the lite is the stereo sound. Don't take me wrong playing GBA on the lite is great.
    If you consider a GBA instead of a DS lite go for a AGS-101 GBA SP model because those are backlight screens and have a great picture. GBA SP AGS-001 model is front light and not so good, the original GBA has no light it only works great when played outside.

10. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    The K101 Revo is an option too, the overall build quality feels lower than an original gba but it has a great screen and comes with a flashcart.