GBA form factor tech

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
whats up with current retro tech which tries to use the gameboy form factor instead of GBA form factor?

so ive ive been looking at the GPi Case 2 and Analogue pocket. which i will need up with both sooner or later. but why do they use the Gameboy form factor and not GBA form factor?

it isnt only GPi Case 2 and Analogue pocket tech which seems to use the Gameboy form its like evrything is like that. but in every way the GBA form is the best.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Nostalgia bait, probably. GBA is too "modern", the familiar Gameboy shape hearkens back to people's childhoods and tugs at their sensitive bits.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Nostalgia bait, probably. GBA is too "modern", the familiar Gameboy shape hearkens back to people's childhoods and tugs at their sensitive bits.

im 50/50 on this. people who brought GBA as a kid are in they 30's now at least. i think its just more simpler to make and a quick buck.

Reactions: emcintosh

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
im 50/50 on this. people who brought GBA as a kid are in they 30's now at least. i think its just more simpler to make and a quick buck.
Is it any simpler to make than a GBA/horizontal form factor though? Also, there's a ton of GBA style "retro game consoles" out there too, way more than the Gameboy format.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Landscape gaming will win any day.
Fuck painful finger joints and wrists from holding those retro "brick" game boys.
I find the chunkiness of the DMG makes it pretty comfortable to hold with my big hands. The OG GBA has less for my hands to hold onto even if it is a more ergonomic shape.
whats up with current retro tech which tries to use the gameboy form factor instead of GBA form factor?

so ive ive been looking at the GPi Case 2 and Analogue pocket. which i will need up with both sooner or later. but why do they use the Gameboy form factor and not GBA form factor?

it isnt only GPi Case 2 and Analogue pocket tech which seems to use the Gameboy form its like evrything is like that. but in every way the GBA form is the best.
For the GPi that's probably simply because it has more space internally so it's easier to make everything fit.

As for the Analogue Pocket, it seems pretty obvious that it's a Game Boy (Color) first and foremost, hence why it has the same aspect ratio, and GBA support is just a bonus. With that in mind it wouldn't really make sense for it to use the GBA form factor.
Maybe they'll release a GBA version of the Pocket at a later point that uses the GBA aspect ratio and form factor (but still supports GB(C)), it would make sense as it could use the same hardware internally, just with a redesigned board and different screen.

I for one am glad it is the way it is, because I have far more nostalgia for the GBC and I don't like how much GB(C) carts stick out on the GBA.

Reactions: DinohScene

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I find the chunkiness of the DMG makes it pretty comfortable to hold with my big hands. The OG GBA has less for my hands to hold onto even if it is a more ergonomic shape.

For the GPi that's probably simply because it has more space internally so it's easier to make everything fit.

As for the Analogue Pocket, it seems pretty obvious that it's a Game Boy (Color) first and foremost, hence why it has the same aspect ratio, and GBA support is just a bonus. With that in mind it wouldn't really make sense for it to use the GBA form factor.
Maybe they'll release a GBA version of the Pocket at a later point that uses the GBA aspect ratio and form factor (but still supports GB(C)), it would make sense as it could use the same hardware internally, just with a redesigned board and different screen.

The original gameboy, yeh it has some hold to it, GBC/P, nah to cramped but the original GBA feels pretty alright.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah, I would've preferred the Analogue Pocket to be the same size as the DMG with a killer battery life, but that might not be so great for people with small hands.

deffo yes to the killer battery life, to bad the world isn't designed yet for giant hands haha.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.