Hacking GBA Flash cards

Psyxe03

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking around, and they seem hard to find. i was wanting to make a present for someone in which i put a specific pokemon hack on a card for them. im really not looking for putting more then one game on, and i would prefer to keep it as cheap as possible...

is there anywhere i can get a flash card for GBA games that is cheap, possibly made for only one game to fit, and (if possible) is similar size and shape as a normal one so i can do a special paintjob and make it look like a legit cartridge?

Psyxe03

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are hack Pokemon game carts available for less than the price of a flash cart.

i would love to own a few physical hacks, but i cant ever find good ones; for this specific project though, im wanting to put a hack i made on one.. (good point though, regardless. i know it will cost more to do what i want to)

on a side note though, where (and how cheap) could i get ones like that?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Your definition of "cheaper" will have to have a price range, price is relative.

As to GBA flashcarts remaining:

A. black EZ-Flash IV (PHAT, microSDHC) average price is $45
B. 3in1 (lite, internal storage) average price is $20
C. Supercard mini/SD (purple, PHAT, some places sell fake ones) average price is $35
D. M3 GBA Expansion Pack (lite, works in a DSL only) average price is $20

Reactions: BestR4i3DS.com

Psyxe03

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should not try and buy anything from Chinese vendors until the Chinese new year is over. Chinese vendor sites will be back on monday when the new year is over.

alright, i really appreciate all the help! $20 isnt too bad, even if i decide to do this a few times; and of course they are reusable/updatable so i can use one as a WIP version....

i know i could just play my hack on the computer, but it would be a really cool gift too :)

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
GBA flashcarts have a size restriction. 32MB is the largest rom you can run on a GBA flashcart, if your hacked pokemon game is larger than 32MB your going to be stuck on playing it on the computer.

To play games larger than 32MB require a GBA flashcart with a very large internal NAND or NOR (that is memory chips on the board, not removeable media like a microSD).
This type of flashcart can no longer be found from online flashcart vendors, that is why it is not listed above.

Lite means you need a slot1 flashcart to put games the carts. D's requirement for a slot1 flashcart is mandatory, same for B. If you don't have a slot1 flashcart, you will need to get one as well.

billzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This type of flashcart can no longer be found from online flashcart vendors, that is why it is not listed above

This really bums me out :( I'm looking to get a small collection of flashable GBA carts for development at a volunteer thing. We're teaching people (teens mostly) about how to develop on embedded hardware, and having like a dozen or so carts would be cool to actually put the finished game on a physical cart... I have a linker and 3 of the 128 Mbit cartridges, but that's a little limiting...

I guess after I hang out a while here, I'll ask on the trading section XD

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GBA flashcarts have a size restriction. 32MB is the largest rom you can run on a GBA flashcart, if your hacked pokemon game is larger than 32MB your going to be stuck on playing it on the computer.

Have there been any hacks to break the 32 meg barrier? Are there even emulators that support it?

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
didn't someone say they can run an oversized mother 3 from NOR on the ez-flash iv deluxe? or was I wrong about that.
I think I did at some point. One of the pre-patched versions I had (possibly still do, I'm not at home to check) was just a hair over 256Mb... Enough that most people can't burn it to their NOR of EZ4's/3-in1's/etc, but not enough to stop it from working on a EZ4DX's NOR. I never played it to the end, so I don't know if it ever caused problems later, and it was so long ago I don't even recall what the patch did.

Also, I think slapping a trainer on it may have pushed Riviera just over the 256Mb mark as well... Again, I'd have to look when I get home.

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It was probably 5+ years ago when you likely said it. Around the time of the 1.0 version of the mother 3 english patch I believe.

Even if you can or can't run oversized 32MB roms, it is not going to be important for anyone getting into GBA flashcarts for the first time within the last 4 years. There is nearly no place left that sells pure NOR flashcarts anyways.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16