Hacking GBA F2ADVANCE on Windows 8!

Rytoast

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, sorry I'm posting this in the DS section, but I couldn't find the GBA Forum (lol).

I had a little adventure with an old F2 Advance flashcart recently, and I thought I'd share it with you all.

I bought a 3DS XL about two weeks ago, and my fiancee, seeing it, reminisced on her lost fuchsia-pink GBA, and how she had so much fun playing Super Mario World. Jumping on the chance of seeing my soon-to-be-wife become a gamer, I immediately ordered the same GBA off of Ebay (refurbished for ~$30, new was around $350, HA!), found my old F2 Advance (with the cord), replaced it's internal battery, and plugged it in. It still worked! But windows 8 recognized the system as a "Fingerprint reader device", and the 5 year old 32-bit drivers were unrecognizable in my Windows 8 64-bit Environment.

So I downloaded VMWare Player (free), installed a virtual 32-bit Windows XP, installed the F2Advance drivers, plugged the GBA in, and voila! The F2Advance GUI worked flawlessly, and my fiancee could play Super Mario World.

Thought I'd share this :)

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Very interesting, I own a F2A 256Mb myself with a USB linker but I never bothered to get it to work on Windows 8 since I also have an M3 Perfect mini SD and that one works still fine, if not you could always drag and drop files from the SD card.
But yeah, if I ever find myself in your position, I'll definitely keep this thread in mind.
Cheers

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I did the same on Win7.

However me Flash2Advance was.. how can I say it..
Pretty dead.
It didn't save anymore and it constantly corrupted the NOR.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yep, replaced the battery and it still corrupted.
Just threw it away (which I shouldn't have done in the first place >_>)

But no worries.
I still got other GBA flashkits.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I swallowed macaroni & cheese for dinner. :P +1