GBA Expansion PAK

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by kikoexe, Jul 3, 2008.

Jul 3, 2008

GBA Expansion PAK by kikoexe at 2:14 PM (1,558 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. kikoexe
    OP

Member kikoexe GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    im planning to buy the gba expansion pack for m3 real.. does it also work on other slot 1 carts like the acekard, cyclo ds and EDGE? thanks in advance.. [​IMG]

also, what are its advantages compared to the ezflash 3in1? aside from being cheap of course.. [​IMG]

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    When used with GBA ExpLoader, only that it can load 32MB games into RAM rather than needing to flash them to NOR. It also has twice as much RAM for homebrew, if that matters to you.

3. kikoexe
    OP

Philippines
    thanks for the fast response destructoboot.. i dont mind the homebrew capabilities for i will just use it solely for gba games.. i dont even mind sacrificing the save state and cheats function since i dont use them.. [​IMG]

can you expound more on this? is this considered to be a disadvantage? sorry as i am not familiar with the term.. [​IMG]

4. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    it is faster, but needs to be redone after every reboot, and therefore the device cannot be used as a standalone game pak.
    Also, the M3 Pack, unlike the EZ one, has a real-time clock.

5. kikoexe
    OP

Philippines
    you mean to say that i will have to go through the "patching" process over and over again even if i start up the same gba game? like the way we load the nds games? if that's the case then i dont see any problem with that..

how about the saves? does the loader produce the saves for each gba game? is the saving process like a normal gba cart? or is it like the supercard wherein you will have to perform a certain button combination to transfer the save to the sd card?

i really appreciate your help guys.. [​IMG]

6. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    with an m3real as slot-1: your save will be written to microSD when you turn your DS on again after playing a gba game.
    with others: your save will be written to microSD the next time you launch GBA exploader

7. Fat D

Germany
    the saves are loaded from the expansion pack to the slot-1 card at the next reboot of the loader for any of the three expansion packs. This way it will always be transferred before the next game has been loaded.
    And yes, loading itself is similar to DS Roms, except for the fact that for most card/expansion combinations, you have to go through an additional step of starting a homebew loader.

8. kikoexe
    OP

Philippines
    thanks for the very informative response guys.. now im looking forward in receiving my gba expansion pak.. [​IMG]

oh by the way, what homebrew loader works best with regard to compatibility and ease of use?

9. Fat D

Germany
    GBA ExpLoader by Rudolph. The only disadvantage it has that it does not auto-patch games with 1Mbit saves (Pokémon and SMA4 are the only popular ones). You will need to run them through the M3 Game Manager with Hardware Support 1.

10. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    been using those games on my m3real for quite some time without patching, and playing through GBA exploader.

11. Fat D

Germany
    This issue only happens with the M3 Expansion on ExpLoader, not with the 3in1 (or eWin for that matter) with ExpLoader on the M3 Real or any other card.

12. kikoexe
    OP

Philippines
    recently received my m3 gba expansion pak and its working great on my acekard 2.. [​IMG]

can anyone point me to a tutorial on rudolph's gba_exploader? so that i would know each function/option.. thanks..

13. Fat D

Germany
    the best thing you have is the readme and the on-screen instructions. Tutorials only help installing it and preparing the games - for the 3in1. and there are two undocumented buttons: Select - load game to 3in1 and soft-reset, Start: Soft-reset.