GBA emulator for the DS by Darkchen *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Sep 16, 2009.

1. lrwr14

lrwr14 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2008
    wow thats really good. I might just get a iplayer for this, since i no longer ue my old ds.

2. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London

^^ what he said, good progress, shame they won't release it though, this video is there to tease people and throw them a carrot with a string attached to it XD

3. Maz7006

Maz7006 iSEXu

Aug 2, 2008
    Its iPlayer only. SO yeah, i really think may just somehow have to try getting one of these, i could get a EZ Flash thing, but this comes flv, avi, and variopus video support, so yeah more value for your money.

4. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 10, 2006
    UK
    This is more of a GBA emulator for the iPlayer than an GBA emulator for the DS though really, isn't it.

5. Islay

Islay GBAtemp Fan

Dec 15, 2008
    hmm the iplayer is looking good at the mo, hows it affecting the DSi's already lame battry ?

6. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    SnemulNDS runs alright on my M3i Zero

7. Jacobeian

Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 15, 2008
    Cuba
    impressive, but yes, technically it's more a GBA emulator for the iplayer hardware but who cares...

the next thing we need now is a public release of the devkit that was used to compile the VBA sourcecode for the iplayer hardware (I know it uses the same chip as the DSi, probably with a faster clock, plus a dedicated FPGA... but anyone know the official spec ?)) , so that anybody could port other CPU intensive emulators (MAME, PSX4All, etc..) ...

I'm also pretty sure the toolkit was given to him by someone who developped the firmware but I doubt it would be very legal to distribute it (like with xbox emulators that used the official SDK), unless it has been done on purpose by the iplayer team because they knew this was going to increase their sells massively [​IMG]

8. NakedFaerie

NakedFaerie GBAtemp Fan

Jul 12, 2007
    In the shadows behind you
    This is great but pity its for the iPlayer only.
    Maybe they start on the iplayer then find a way to work in all carts.

As soon as the DSi mode is hacked then there will be more CPU power to be used and that will probably remove the need for the iplayer. Hopefully...

9. Jacobeian

May 15, 2008
    Cuba
    well, it will only works on iPlayer because Iplayer has additional hardware that make it possible to run code, other carts does not have any CPU/FPGA inside so they can't do that, they just "load" roms or homebrew program on the DSi hardware, here itr is completely different, the program is using the iPlayer hardware ...

here are the spec of the chip inside the iPlayer: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tms320dm6441.pdf
    as you can see, it includes the same processor (ARM9) as the DSi but can be clocked up to 200 Mhz (not sure about the real spec though)
    the chip also include an additional DSP that can be used to run some code (more likely dedicated to sound processing and mixing) up to 400 Mhz !

last thing, it contains a FPGA but it's probably dedicated for video decoding and you won't be able to run your own code on it

not bad for that price I would say

10. Blue-K

Blue-K No right of appeal.

Jun 21, 2008
    Swaziland
    Helvetica
    Very nice work indeed...still wondering how he got his hands on the official SDK... [​IMG]. If Normatt now makes the promised Loader for NDS games, I'm pretty much sold (yes, I still remember that he said this)...or would this whole thing be possible once the DSi is unlocked? Then I'll probably wait, or buy an Android Phone...

Anyways, nice work, Darkchen!

11. Matt140

Matt140 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 1, 2009
    England
    If we were to crack DSi Mode, would we be able to run GBA games on the DSi?

12. Jacobeian

May 15, 2008
    Cuba
    I doubt it, the ARM CPUs on the DSi are still running too slow , 133+66Mhz in DSi mode, 66+33Mhz in DS compatibility mode...
    sadly, I don't think it's enough for full-speed GBA emulation

that's why iplayer or similar cart with extra processing power (if other ones ever come out) would be a huge breakdown for handeld emulation (up to 32x, N64, PS1 maybe )

13. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    [​IMG]

Didn't see that coming! Now we can't say anymore that a slot1 flashcard never is gonna be able to emulate GBA roms [​IMG]
    (of course it was possible with that hyper-thingy, but no one would have made that hyper-thingy anyway)

14. The Teej

The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

Former Staff
    Jun 27, 2004
    England
    Everybody saying "look at all the noobs who said GBA on DS would never happen, they're wrong now!!11", well, please just stop. Nobody would have ever predicted a cart coming out with extra power and RAM built in, and it -still- doesn't happen on a "vanilla" flash cart, so you're not really proving anything at all.

15. iwakura

iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

Jul 20, 2006
    United States
    California
    nope, DS, DSlite, and DSi compatible [​IMG]

16. SuperGustafson9

SuperGustafson9 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2008
    United States
    Usa
    You Are Truly My Friend Darkchen, I Waited For A GBA Emulator And My Dream Has Finally Came True [​IMG]

I Have So Many Roms I Want To Play On My DS That I Dont Have As The Actual Cartridges!

Keep Up The Good Work [​IMG]

17. crook

crook GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Nobody has this player.

18. SuperGustafson9

SuperGustafson9 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2008
    United States
    Usa
    What Do You Mean Crook?

I Will Be Getting This Software The Day It Comes out [​IMG]

19. wolffangalchemist

wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    middleofnowhere, AL
    that's all well and good but where is a ds rom loader, other wise this really isn't work the extra cash for a iplayer especially when more flash cart owners don't watch movies on the ds?
    till then i'm happy playing gba on my wii or spending $20 on a 3 in 1 not $40 or $50 on a iplayer.

20. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    Considering how horribly unimpressed I was with the EZ Flash 3 in 1 and all the bullshit with NOR memory and whatnot, I am quite content with spending some money on the iPlayer and getting a reasonable sized memory card to watch some movies and play GBA games on, it won't hurt to carry around another cart just for that purpose either since they are tiny compared to GBA games.